Helping a pitcher's mental hurdles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
Hello coaches! Looking for some input. I coach a mostly first year 12u team. During the fall one of my pitchers took a hard line drive off the knee against a very good hitting 2nd year 12u team. She has physically recovered from the injury no problem, but she has been having some mental struggles getting back into the circle. She is a good pitcher, but she hasn't wanted to go back in the circle since the play. She plays other positions well so she isn't afraid of being on the field. I know it's totally normal how she feels, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her gain confidence to go back in the circle? TIA

Aug 15, 2021
My DD took a hard line drive to the chest when she was in 8U all stars, and it took time for her to get back her confidence. Getting her back on the in the circle is the first step to building her confidence. Consider getting her to just pitch one inning, maybe at the end of the line up or with less competitive teams. Sometimes just getting back out there for an inning or two starts getting the competitive drive going. Take it slow, but continue to encourage her as her confidence builds. If she doesn't already wear a mask, have her start.

Reactions: RJK

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
My DD took a hard line drive to the chest when she was in 8U all stars, and it took time for her to get back her confidence. Getting her back on the in the circle is the first step to building her confidence. Consider getting her to just pitch one inning, maybe at the end of the line up or with less competitive teams. Sometimes just getting back out there for an inning or two starts getting the competitive drive going. Take it slow, but continue to encourage her as her confidence builds. If she doesn't already wear a mask, have her start.
I have a rule the entire IF wears a mask and highly encourage the OF too. I don’t want to force it but trying to ease her back in. She threw BP to some of our smaller hitters a week ago but did not want to pitch in the game against a team that was mostly first years and would have been perfect for her to get back in there. Being patient for now.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hello coaches! Looking for some input. I coach a mostly first year 12u team. During the fall one of my pitchers took a hard line drive off the knee against a very good hitting 2nd year 12u team. She has physically recovered from the injury no problem, but she has been having some mental struggles getting back into the circle. She is a good pitcher, but she hasn't wanted to go back in the circle since the play. She plays other positions well so she isn't afraid of being on the field. I know it's totally normal how she feels, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her gain confidence to go back in the circle? TIA
Have you tried saying,
'okay you don't have to pitch.'

That can relieve burden/ pressure.

Let her decide, because the reality of the situation is, it is her decision to make.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Sadly, there might be nothing you can do. If she's too skittish to take the circle, you don't want to force her or you might lose her entirely. There are a lot of girls playing the field who were once good young pitchers. Many of them gave up pitching for the same reason as this girl.

I once quit baseball for a few seasons because I kept getting hit by pitches and hurt. I got tired of being plunked all the time, and I was always nervous about getting hit. It affected me to the point I didn't want to play anymore. Thankfully, I got over it, but it took me nearly two years to decide I wasn't going to let my fear beat me. Others never get over the hump.

Either way, I hope she keeps playing the game.

Reactions: RJK

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Sadly, there might be nothing you can do. If she's too skittish to take the circle, you don't want to force her or you might lose her entirely. There are a lot of girls playing the field who were once good young pitchers. Many of them gave up pitching for the same reason as this girl.

I once quit baseball for a few seasons because I kept getting hit by pitches and hurt. I got tired of being plunked all the time, and I was always nervous about getting hit. It affected me to the point I didn't want to play anymore. Thankfully, I got over it, but it took me nearly two years to decide I wasn't going to let my fear beat me. Others never get over the hump.

Either way, I hope she keeps playing the game.
One of the reasons why I teach catchers to field and recover dirt pitches with our glove is to not get pegged and bruised repeatedly by the ball.
* of which using our glove mechanics has encouraged some catchers to continue being catchers who otherwise did not care to continually get pegged and were ready to stop being catchers because they were told they had to block everything in the dirt. Pretty neat experience to get phone calls from parents saying can you help our daughter work through this. And was able to do so. Then to have families and catchers be thankful to stop getting injured. RAD Mechanics!
=Ready And Durable!

Another reason is to control the ball to control the game.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
Have you tried saying,
'okay you don't have to pitch.'

That can relieve burden/ pressure.

Let her decide, because the reality of the situation is, it is her decision to make.
Yep I have! She hasn’t pitched in a game since. I’m not about forcing players to play where they don’t want to. That’s why I’m here to see if anyone has any suggestions to help ease her mind. Thanks for your input though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802