Help! Lack of Drop Ball Bite

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
To me a drop is a pitch that moves downward more than expected because of the spin. Angle of descent through the strike zone doesn't define a drop so the height of the pitcher doesn't matter.

Jul 19, 2021
Then I'd say the hitting is fairly weak of a thigh high riseball with bad spin is effective. Apologies if that sounds pretentious.
Lol.........
I'll be sure to tell Kevin Shelton of the Texas Glory that his #1 team is weak hitting. And while I'm at it I'll tell Coach G at Ok St and Beth T at LSU and White at Texas that they have weak hitters committed. Apologies if that sounds sarcastic. :)

On the drop ball/pitcher's height discussion. Bill, would you agree that it is harder to get a drop ball to drop if it is headed towards the plate on an ascending trajectory than it is if it is headed towards the plate with a descending trajectory? That's just Physics 101 isn't it? And you just admitted as such in a previous post. So with that theory being agreed upon, I believe that is the thought process of the folks that think height affects the drop ball's effectiveness. Shorter girls' release point is closer to the ground, often below the knees of the batter they are facing, therefore their pitches have to be on an ascending trajectory if they are to end up in the strike zone. Someone correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

Sep 30, 2013
Northwest, IN
Hi folks, DD is an IR/Tincher pitcher (Made the switch from HE 1.5 years ago). Based on her action, her coach determined the peel (vs rollover) was the best approach to the drop for her. At release, the untrained eye would assume its a rollover style drop though given the follow through she was taught - sort of a whipping action over the top and into the near thigh after release.

THE CHALLENGE: When throwing the ball low she seems to be able to get the ball to bite and drop at the plate. It's never called a strike and doesn't appear to be a strike coming in because of how low it is. Batters correctly perceive it as a low ball so they never swing at it to produce the hoped for weak hit or swung miss. When she elevates the pitch a bit , it comes in as a fastball with no bite. Am I overthinking and should just let her work through over time? I perceive the drop to be key to her success as she's not throwing a rise yet and her curve is still developing - also with very little bite. Coach says she's seeing good spin though. Any thoughts on how to address?
This is where Tincher loses me. Most of what is taught by them are angle pitches. (Hip angles, forced release usually on the drop. i.e look at their previous video of the curveball, with all students moving and pulling to where the curve is going. Very little break if at all)

My guess is it's more angle than spin. Pronation is needed, posture and core as well. Lastly, pay attention to her thumb at release. Tincher is big time over rotation with the whole "fluid dynamics" and the release and hand change because of that rotation.

Sep 30, 2013
Northwest, IN
All about Posture, Release and Spin. Height has absolutely nothing to do with break. Mike White actually stays back on his.... well all of his pitches look like this posture really. So if it aint bitting, it's an angle. Work on proper posture, relase and a good spin axis. Mike White Drop

Attachments

• IMG_9079.jpg
    IMG_9079.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 45
Jan 28, 2017
Assuming good 12-6 spin axis based on the coach "seeing good spin" then maybe just not enough spin rate yet to offset the more upward trajectory of the higher pitches.

Also, a "pronation" drop is basically what is described in the "IR in the Classroom" thread. 12-6 spin naturally created by good IR mechanics.
Yes, and if you want it to drop more just put a little more into it. Angle of the wrist/hand/fingers can turn it into a drop curve also.

Jan 28, 2017
I know some don't like the band idea 4ft in front of the plate but it has been good for my students and DD. I tell them all the time that you may have great drop spin but if your hand work is late, the pitch will break after the catcher catches it. After working with the band I can tell them in the game to make it break 4ft in front of the plate and it normally helps. Also, different subject but I'm not an angle pitch guy but some of my older students come to me with pretty good angle pitches and we use the cord to try and get movement 4ft in front of the plate instead of just throwing an angle the entire time. Not for everyone but it works with my kids.

Feb 6, 2020
Lol.........
I'll be sure to tell Kevin Shelton of the Texas Glory that his #1 team is weak hitting. And while I'm at it I'll tell Coach G at Ok St and Beth T at LSU and White at Texas that they have weak hitters committed. Apologies if that sounds sarcastic. :)

On the drop ball/pitcher's height discussion. Bill, would you agree that it is harder to get a drop ball to drop if it is headed towards the plate on an ascending trajectory than it is if it is headed towards the plate with a descending trajectory? That's just Physics 101 isn't it? And you just admitted as such in a previous post. So with that theory being agreed upon, I believe that is the thought process of the folks that think height affects the drop ball's effectiveness. Shorter girls' release point is closer to the ground, often below the knees of the batter they are facing, therefore their pitches have to be on an ascending trajectory if they are to end up in the strike zone. Someone correct me if my assumption is incorrect.
I know very little about throwing a drop, but I'd say that taller people tend to have longer arms so its not like the release point of someone that is 5'4" vs 5'10" is 6 inches. The difference would be relatively small enough that other factors would weigh more heavily into the success of the pitch

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I know some don't like the band idea 4ft in front of the plate but it has been good for my students and DD. I tell them all the time that you may have great drop spin but if your hand work is late, the pitch will break after the catcher catches it. After working with the band I can tell them in the game to make it break 4ft in front of the plate and it normally helps. Also, different subject but I'm not an angle pitch guy but some of my older students come to me with pretty good angle pitches and we use the cord to try and get movement 4ft in front of the plate instead of just throwing an angle the entire time. Not for everyone but it works with my kids.
It is a tool. A visual tool that can be used at different intervals of the pitch distance and plate. It wouldn't hurt to try it is probably the best part about it. And if it helps even better.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

We use the band/string for my DD as well. Started out at 10ft, then moved in to 8ft and 6ft. Our goal is set the string at release height and the ball to go just over (or to skim) the string and end with the drop movement. This lets her work on getting the break to happen later aiding in the deception.

But, I have her throw into a backstop net or I wear gear because if the string grabs the ball it can act like a sling shot with the redirect.

Aug 21, 2008
Lol.........

Since we're using sarcasm, and name dropping, I'd gladly tell those people that. I have most of their phone numbers in my contacts so I'll drop them all a note. LOL. I absolutely think Mike White would agree with me. I don't know who initially said it, but someone had commented that "thigh high riseballs get smashed" or something like that. I agree. So, why wouldn't a thigh high "riseball" with bad spin not also get crushed?

Yes, I agree with your physics. But, the discussion involves the most unlikely of scenarios: a pitcher who's 4'6 tall pitching to someone 5'11 or bigger (that's the gist of the discussion). I've just never seen such a scenario. I'm sure someone will come on here and tell me they have seen it. But are we talking about the college level or rec level? Yes I think that matters because I've been doing lessons for 20+ years and I've just never seen someone unusually short that pitches in the upper age divisions and college.

What I have seen 2 million times (maybe 3 million?) is that young pitchers: 9, 10, 11 years old who can throw legit drop balls without even realizing they are doing it. The ones taught to throw a "fastball" are basically being taught a drop and they don't realize it. 99.99999% of those pitchers' have a parent who say yes when I ask, "Does the fastball drop when you're catching for her?" So, bingo they're throwing a drop already. But, to admit that, a pitching coach will be losing money because most will complicate the drop, tell them they need to do all kinds of crazy things when throwing this pitch (stepping short, leaning forward, turn the hand over after release etc. etc.) trying to make the "fastball" and drop into 2 separate pitches. If the admit that, then they won't have 5 months worth of lessons teaching them the drop and all the crazy things they need to do to make the pitch happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12