Help keeping Demarini bat naming straight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2020
I'm new to fastpitch and looking for a bat for my daughter. I was getting a little lost in Demarini naming and wanted to double check.
CF9 is from 2017, CFX from 2018, CF ZEN from 2019 and 2020 is just CF but would be similar/same line at least. The Hope version are the same bat just different paint with money going to breast cancer?
DeMarini CFX Extended is the same as the CFX but with Adjustable On Demand (AOD) Knob?
Any draw backs to the AOD Knob? Seems a little odd to me but guess it wouldn't hurt anything?
Any advantages with going with the newer bats or would 2018-2020 all be about the same? Thanks for the help

Aug 25, 2019
I've already bugged Core with questions about Easton, Mizuno, and Rawlings. Didn't want to but him with DeMarini. I've looking at a Mizuno PC, Demarini CF line, or a LXT at this point I think.
Well for what's it worth, my DD used a Demarini insane for the last two years, she hit it well, then switched to a 2019 LXT this year and she loves it. I've always read good things about the LXT, but with the $165 price before Christmas, I couldn't turn it down. Bottom line, all those brands have good bats, but they don't hit themselves. If your DD is a good hitter, any one is fine, don't really sweat it, and don't spend too much.

Jan 8, 2019
DD and a teammate are both swinging PCs and both love them. That's a big deal out here in Cali where even speaking a name other than DeMarini is near blaspheme.

Oct 5, 2018
I'm new to fastpitch and looking for a bat for my daughter. I was getting a little lost in Demarini naming and wanted to double check.
CF9 is from 2017, CFX from 2018, CF ZEN from 2019 and 2020 is just CF but would be similar/same line at least. The Hope version are the same bat just different paint with money going to breast cancer?
DeMarini CFX Extended is the same as the CFX but with Adjustable On Demand (AOD) Knob?
Any draw backs to the AOD Knob? Seems a little odd to me but guess it wouldn't hurt anything?
Any advantages with going with the newer bats or would 2018-2020 all be about the same? Thanks for the help
Most what you said is correct...
2016 CF8s
2017 CF9s
2018 CFXs
2019 CF Zens
2020 CFs

The CF Extended with AOD knob however is actually in with the 2019 Zens not the 2018 CFX line.

For CF8, CF9 and CFX line demarini had a bat called the slapper. It was a drop 10, slightly even more balanced weighted towards hands, had an inch longer barrel (14 i think) and the grip was wrapped the opposite way of most bats so it felt more natural for a lefty.

The slapper didn't sell well and was always deeply discounted. That's not to say it was horrible bat. Several posts on here if you search for it.

The 2019 CF Zen Extended AOD Knob is basically the slapper with the AOD knob and gripped the common direction. The AOD knob has a little different feel to it if you hold at the knob because it is slightly thicker than handle since it moves up the handle an inch if desired. IF DD chokes up an inch then it feels like any other bat. You can probably get it brand new with warranty for $100.

In most lines, not much different year to year. Especially true of these Demarinis. Though many swear the CFXs were subpar. The Zens were generally well liked and can be had at discount right now. No reason to buy a 2020 CF at MSRP.

Feb 6, 2020
Most what you said is correct...
2016 CF8s
2017 CF9s
2018 CFXs
2019 CF Zens
2020 CFs

The CF Extended with AOD knob however is actually in with the 2019 Zens not the 2018 CFX line.

For CF8, CF9 and CFX line demarini had a bat called the slapper. It was a drop 10, slightly even more balanced weighted towards hands, had an inch longer barrel (14 i think) and the grip was wrapped the opposite way of most bats so it felt more natural for a lefty.

The slapper didn't sell well and was always deeply discounted. That's not to say it was horrible bat. Several posts on here if you search for it.

The 2019 CF Zen Extended AOD Knob is basically the slapper with the AOD knob and gripped the common direction. The AOD knob has a little different feel to it if you hold at the knob because it is slightly thicker than handle since it moves up the handle an inch if desired. IF DD chokes up an inch then it feels like any other bat. You can probably get it brand new with warranty for $100.

In most lines, not much different year to year. Especially true of these Demarinis. Though many swear the CFXs were subpar. The Zens were generally well liked and can be had at discount right now. No reason to buy a 2020 CF at MSRP.
Thanks, I can find the 2019 CF Zen Extended AOD very cheap right now but was a little worried about the AOD. My DD didn't like the idea either. If it felt a little different it would might be enough to get in her head so probably not worth getting. I can get a Zen, LXT, or a PC for all about the same price right now. I'm trying to find some to demo but have not had a lot of luck finding all of them in Iowa. Might just letter pick they one she thinks looks the best. I already had to scratch DeMarini CFX Hope off the list that I can find cheap because she thought it looked funny. Thanks for all of the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee