Have to choose a team...again.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
On playing with friends, this is a lesson she is rapidly learning.

On the tough love, does she really want to pitch? For now the answer is yes; however, agree I need to explore the question more. And she wants (and gets) the ball but going into a 7 game weekend (we typically go deep on Sunday) with two isn't appealing - we've been there and it didn't work out well. With respect to pressure, she handles it well and is often complimented for her composure in the circle...no issue there. I know throwing upwards of 1000 pitches in a weekend is done but I don't buy the argument that if you're not begging for that you don't really want to be a pitcher.

On development away from the team, no problem there. Currently seeing what we consider the best PC in our area, a true IR coach that has done it herself as well coached others to success. A hitting coach, and lifts three times a week. Does she pitch 3 to 5 times a week? Yes, is it always her idea? No. Half time time its her, half the time its me reminding.

On the life lesson, great perspective...in fact I've started to go down that path...what we've learned here is that it's time to be crystal clear about goals: Do you want to play in college? Do you want to pitch? The answers here determine our (and a bunch of other peoples) direction so lets buckle things down more. As a parent, what I've learned is that maybe I've allowed her to taka a hedged position and that's not going to work anymore.

Great post. Grateful.

We joined a team with two stud pitchers. We were the third.

It's worked out quite well. My DD went from "I might have to pitch 4 games today I better go easy" to "I'm going to throw every pitch as if this is my last inning of the day". It's helped both her and the team.

Oct 4, 2018
Good for her making a decision. Apparently something made sense to her to look elsewhere. Care to share any feedback on why she made that decision?

Yeah, we need closure on this. Is she happy? Is the team better or worse? Does she have friends on it? How much do you think she'll play?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It's worked out quite well. My DD went from "I might have to pitch 4 games today I better go easy" to "I'm going to throw every pitch as if this is my last inning of the day". It's helped both her and the team.
Like the perspective you shared in these comments.

How often this happens with pitchers that are tasked to do too much.
Compared with the benefit of having a true pitching roster to rely on together.

It does happen some pitchers compete on their own teams to be the starting pitcher or the pitcher for the big game. But the reality is too much pitching will wear out just about any pitcher.
Highly difficult to find a pitcher that can throw every game in a weekend tournament and still be as good at the end of the tournament as when they started.
Team sport! Takes a team!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018
Good for her making a decision. Apparently something made sense to her to look elsewhere. Care to share any feedback on why she made that decision?
Yes absolutely. She cites two reasons. The first is she was worried about such drastic change in the coaching staff. ALL coaches left and a complete new set was being installed, including a request for me to join the staff. She likes it when I coach but not when I'm too much of a Coach if that makes sense. In short there was a serious fear that the inbound staff wouldn't have the experience to grow her skill wise. The second reason was she just left a team that was overly reliant on her from a pitching standpoint. On that team she developed less as an athlete and more as a horse the rest of the team relied on. She's moved to a team with what we both consider very high quality coaching squad with an excellent track record. She becomes one of three on the squad and it's created a real desire to fight for her innings. Proud of her and her line of reasoning.

Aug 12, 2018
We joined a team with two stud pitchers. We were the third.

This is almost exactly what has happened with us. Only I'd add she's also gained a more solid confidence in the coaches she's working with.

Aug 12, 2018
Yeah, we need closure on this. Is she happy? Is the team better or worse? Does she have friends on it? How much do you think she'll play?
Tell you what, she's very happy with her decision, though a bit sad about the position it places her old team: 1 pitcher. She has no friends on her new team. There's one or two she's bumped into competitively in the past but no friends so to speak - a whole new horizon for her with this team.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes absolutely. She cites two reasons. The first is she was worried about such drastic change in the coaching staff. ALL coaches left and a complete new set was being installed, including a request for me to join the staff. She likes it when I coach but not when I'm too much of a Coach if that makes sense. In short there was a serious fear that the inbound staff wouldn't have the experience to grow her skill wise. The second reason was she just left a team that was overly reliant on her from a pitching standpoint. On that team she developed less as an athlete and more as a horse the rest of the team relied on. She's moved to a team with what we both consider very high quality coaching squad with an excellent track record. She becomes one of three on the squad and it's created a real desire to fight for her innings.

Proud of her and her line of reasoning.
🏆

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802