Harassing pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
Watched a few Va Tech games at Regionals (on tv) and their fans were awfully mouthy. I kept wondering if the they had a dang mic up in the crowd because you could clearly hear them harassing the umps for calls... especially the illegal pitch calls. They were all over opposing team as well after every call. Seemed they took every call for and against them personal.
And to think the Va Tech coaches could have spent time fixing the pitcher's mechanics - they have had almost a year to do it.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Watched a few Va Tech games at Regionals (on tv) and their fans were awfully mouthy. I kept wondering if the they had a dang mic up in the crowd because you could clearly hear them harassing the umps for calls... especially the illegal pitch calls. They were all over opposing team as well after every call. Seemed they took every call for and against them personal.

One person's "mouthy" is another's "passionate". My nephew just pitched against them in the baseball regional...they were very, very, very passionate.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Umpires have authority over the game participants (coaches, players, anyone else in the dugout, official scorers)
Crowd is the responsibility of the TD/On-site Admin (which can be the home team head coach if no one else is available)

Participants trying to distract the pitcher by screaming during her motion is no different than a coach yelling 'drop it' or 'I got it' when a fielder is making a catch. It is interference and should be penalized as such. Unsporting behavior to be taken care of separately.

Spectators crossing the line should be brought to the attention of the TD/On-site Admin to deal with and they need to take care of it. At the VERY most the umpire can stop play until it is dealt with if felt necessary if the fan behavior is severe enough.

Acceptable fan behavior at a youth sporting event or even a college event is very different than at a pro sporting event (even if it probably shouldn't be).

May 27, 2013
I have to laugh because this is literally every HS baseball game I watch. The other team had kids /parents from their school at our field camping out behind the OF fence yelling crap to our OF the entire game. So classless. They finally walked away when I decided to stand next to them and question their motives.

It’s a special breed that pulls that kind of crap. Trash at it’s finest.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
During the Seattle NCAA D-1 Regional games between Wa & Texas, member(s) of the Texas crowd repeatedly blew a whistle as Gabbie Plain (Washington pitcher) was releasing the ball. When this was shut down (violation of facility rules), members of the Texas bench began screeching loudly as the pitch was being delivered. They laughed uproariously & nobody said a word! It’s certainly an example of unsportsmanlike conduct but is it a rules violation? I’ve watched countless games & never seen such bad conduct by fans or teams (including a Texas fan ejection the previous day for a harassing profane remark screamed as a Husky batter prepared to bat). Teams can’t control fans but they clearly can & should reign in player conduct.
What about the Texas catcher popping her mitt on every pitch?

Aug 6, 2013
One of our catchers does that. I don't think it is for nefarious purposes - it's just part of her catching routine and she isn't doing it to distract the batter. I can't imagine that being an issue - no ump has ever said anything.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
I think it’s just the opposite with Texas. It is during the windup in some cases. Surprised an ump hasn’t said something to be honest.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
There is nothing wrong with that. DD has been doing that since 14U and it is not used as a distraction for the batter. It is a sign to the pitcher indicating Let's Go! And frankly, it has become part of her DNA. She says she can't help herself. Like a tic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23