Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
It's ALL about money, whatever will put butts in seats! And it boils down to two things, homeruns and winning, period! People / fans want to see both of those!
Unless you’re the Rays, then it’s about revenue sharing and low payroll.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Years and years ago when there was that player strike and I realized they were striking for more money even though they already made tons . my thought was just come up with a standard paycheck for starters top 25 whatever. Even at that time $60,000 would have been a good years paycheck for anybody who wanted to play ball . Bring back heart. There would have been plenty of players that would have stepped up and filled up that League.

Maybe a different pay scale for pitchers... how much innings are used or something. But the reality of it for me was mlb are a bunch of whiners I would have gladly played in a professional League for a heck of a lot less.

That's when I lost my respect for MLB...
Never cared to watch it since and that was what 35-40 years ago.

Oct 14, 2019
why do you side with the billionaire owners over the players? who cares how much money they make? it’s just entertainment. very few ever make it though the minor leagues where they make less than minimum wage and live in terrible conditions.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
why do you side with the billionaire owners over the players? who cares how much money they make? it’s just entertainment. very few ever make it though the minor leagues where they make less than minimum wage and live in terrible conditions.

I think MLB has some of the worst minor league support of the major four. So I can understand when a player has an opportunity to sign a MLB contract they want as much as they can get.

The average career for a MLB player is 5.6 years. With one in five position players having only a single year career. (Per Google). Get what you can while you can. We hear mostly about the stars of the game making crazy bucks for long contracts. But there's plenty of players that come and go without making much money. NHL and NFL are similar. Make what you can and, if you're smart, put it somewhere it can work for you.

I think a majority of players, even those being paid top dollar, still love the sport. But if you can play a game you love and make enough money that you can retire for good in your late 30's/early 40's.....where do I sign up?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Was that toward me? Siding with billionaire owners question.

Its not just entertainment when heart is involved!

Wasn't looking at it as the whole industry business of it, was looking at it
Like thys
if the entire league had to be shut down because players wouldn't get out on the field.
They could have kept the entire league going by picking up players who would be happy to make less. And the public would still watch. Just because they simply want to play ball would be pretty cool. That said I get it contracts blah blah blah..

Everything costs more to afford paying the owners and the players.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think MLB has some of the worst minor league support of the major four. So I can understand when a player has an opportunity to sign a MLB contract they want as much as they can get.

The average career for a MLB player is 5.6 years. With one in five position players having only a single year career. (Per Google). Get what you can while you can. We hear mostly about the stars of the game making crazy bucks for long contracts. But there's plenty of players that come and go without making much money. NHL and NFL are similar. Make what you can and, if you're smart, put it somewhere it can work for you.

I think a majority of players, even those being paid top dollar, still love the sport. But if you can play a game you love and make enough money that you can retire for good in your late 30's/early 40's.....where do I sign up?
Good read.

For minimum wage I would have picked that over anything else! Not baseball but pro softball.
Since I survived with minimum wage jobs and playing travel on the side as an adult.

I do understand the concept of being paid to do something I love in the sport I love! Amen

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Good read.

For minimum wage I would have picked that over anything else! Not baseball but pro softball.
Since I survived with minimum wage jobs and playing travel on the side as an adult.

I do understand the concept of being paid to do something I love in the sport I love! Amen

I agree. There is something to be said about being okay living a simple life but doing what you truly love. Baseball, Softball, whatever. There is a romance to it. But, unfortunately, not many can do it for long as life always comes a knocking.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
For better or worse, professional sports (including sports at the collegiate level) are now made for television entertainment spectacles.
Heck what people do at home has become entertainment with reality TV. Why is Duck Dynasty so entertaining LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802