Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Never tried Shiner Bock. Are there any mild IPAs that you would recommend? I have never tried any because I'm not into the bitterness. Not a fan of dark beer either. I would prefer to drink a straight glass of Jack Daniels over something like Guinness. If I need a knife and fork for my beer, I'm not interested.
Have you ever had a Guinness before? If there was ever a beer you couldn’t judge by it’s looks! Even though it looks like a combination of Yoo-hoo and a double chocolate cake, it’s surprisingly light and flows like water! Nothing remotely like it looks!

If you want to try a great get started IPA, try the standard ole Lagunita’s IPA, I think they’re fantastic!

And if you prefer a straight glass of Jack Daniels over a Guinness beer, you sir are a bada$$! ;)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Have you ever had a Guinness before? If there was ever a beer you couldn’t judge by it’s looks! Even though it looks like a combination of Yoo-hoo and a double chocolate cake, it’s surprisingly light and flows like water! Nothing remotely like it looks!

If you want to try a great get started IPA, try the standard ole Lagunita’s IPA, I think they’re fantastic!

And if you prefer a straight glass of Jack Daniels over a Guinness beer, you sir are a bada$$! ;)

Yes, I have tried Guinness. Just not my thing... When I stated I would prefer a straight glass of Jack, I didn't say I would enjoy it ;) My significant drinking days are WELL behind me at this point. As stated previous, I alternate between cases of Yuengling Light and Land Shark. But each case typically takes me two months or more to get through. Prior to the pandemic, much of it was on hand for company. But we just don't get together as much as we did before Covid started. Hopefully that changes this summer.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I feel behind the times. Naw, I feel good even though I still get short of breath easily and I still have diminished taste from my battle with the virus.

My daughter just turned 21 in December. Unfortunately she didn't have much opportunity to celebrate. She was already home from school and there is little to do in our area, especially with all the closures and limitations. She went back to school in late January and has celebrated a little, but she doesn't seem to be much of a drinker. Honestly, I"m not upset about that. I drank way too much when I was your age. Not something I would suggest to anyone.

Glad to see your symptoms are improving. DD had the virus in December as well (as did my wife and I). Although her taste and smell is not completely back, she does claim she has noticed improvements. Some days are better than others. I'm not sure if you have noticed this, but she claims that certain things do not taste like she remembered. Even though her taste is returning, it seems to be different.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
My daughter just turned 21 in December. Unfortunately she didn't have much opportunity to celebrate. She was already home from school and there is little to do in our area, especially with all the closures and limitations. She went back to school in late January and has celebrated a little, but she doesn't seem to be much of a drinker. Honestly, I"m not upset about that. I drank way too much when I was your age. Not something I would suggest to anyone.

Glad to see your symptoms are improving. DD had the virus in December as well (as did my wife and I). Although her taste and smell is not completely back, she does claim she has noticed improvements. Some days are better than others. I'm not sure if you have noticed this, but she claims that certain things do not taste like she remembered. Even though her taste is returning, it seems to be different.

We really haven't had much of a chance to celerate with the whole pandemic, either. I don't know where you live, but we have a good bit to do in the Philly area. Where I go to college...not so much, lol. I have done some drinking since my freshman year. Not too wild...but still some (I hope my parents arent reading this).

My symptoms are improving gradually. This virus was awful. My school is talking about making getting the vaccine mandatory for the fall term. I really don't want to get it...but I guess I have little choice if I want to go to a state school. My taste and smell is still really off. I notice I crave more salty stuff, now. Don't make much sensse. I also really crave veggies. I do notice some things do taste different. Before, I loved my mom's meatloaf. It tastes differently now, especially if I try to make a sandwich with it. I wonder if it will come back to like it was before?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My symptoms are improving gradually. This virus was awful. My school is talking about making getting the vaccine mandatory for the fall term. I really don't want to get it...but I guess I have little choice if I want to go to a state school. My taste and smell is still really off. I notice I crave more salty stuff, now. Don't make much sensse. I also really crave veggies. I do notice some things do taste different. Before, I loved my mom's meatloaf. It tastes differently now, especially if I try to make a sandwich with it. I wonder if it will come back to like it was before?

My daughter goes to a private school and they are considering making the vaccine mandatory as well. I don't think they have made a final decision on this, but it is something they are talking about. She is already vaccinated so it doesn't matter to her. Personally I believe taking or not taking the vaccine is a matter of personal preference. I don't think anyone should feel pressured either way.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Yupper...Agree with FP26...no vaccine should be mandatory in my eyes. Its your body, your choice. They are going to use school,
events, sports to try and force people to do it. And im not an anti-vac guy. I had covid already and i have gotten vaccinated because
my wife's immune system isnt great because of her issues, so I do what I can to try and limit anything bad she can get. But she did get covid as well, luckily I think the vaccines helped limit her effects

Back on the better topic :)...Yuengling....terrible. Im a PA guy, and I cant fathom why people like this stuff. Its the oldest brewery, its a PA beer, yada yada. Its terrible I think. I would rather not have anything than drink that stuff.

Never tried the light version.

Btw, Dogfish does make some lighter IPAs that are pretty available all around...not just in the area they are made. The hard part
suggesting beers, is a lot of times, craft beers are only available around the area they are made.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Back on the better topic :)...Yuengling....terrible. Im a PA guy, and I cant fathom why people like this stuff. Its the oldest brewery, its a PA beer, yada yada. Its terrible I think. I would rather not have anything than drink that stuff.

Never tried the light version.

Btw, Dogfish does make some lighter IPAs that are pretty available all around...not just in the area they are made. The hard part
suggesting beers, is a lot of times, craft beers are only available around the area they are made.

+1 on the Dogfish recommendation. Another good one. The good/bad of IPA's is that there are so many of them. I could buy just locally brewed IPA's and be happy. The ones I recommended above should be available just about everywhere though.

Last night I had a Sour Wheat (Hazy) Ale that is brewed locally. Loved it. Was definitely different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45