Grand View Home Run Injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
So, could only a trailing runner assist? That is, would there be an issue with a player going back (running in reverse order)? If the batter/runner B2 hit a home run and became injured right out of the batter’s box with R1 on third base. R1 crosses home before she realizes B2 is hurt. Can she help her around the bases from there, or would she have to reverse herself all the way around to help her? Or would R1 no longer be considered a runner and not be allowed to help? (All this assuming the coach didn‘t read @The Man In Blue ’s post, and the opposing team had no class whatsoever.)

A trail runner to the batter? 😋

I would say if the runner was going to go back, she would need to make sure she:
A.) Retouches any bases in order
B.) Touches the base before the batter-runner or trail runner

Technically, once the runner touches home, she is not longer a runner and would no longer be eligible to do this legally. That said, I am not making that out call.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I may be misreading your post ... it IS the case. I can't say it ALWAYS has been, but I'm not aware of any recent rule change that previously disallowed it.
And I may be misreading yours. Back to the Grandview case, opponents assisted the batter. The batter's teammates cannot help the batter. Your solution: change rule to allow dead ball, insert substitute runner. I thought that was a good idea.

May 29, 2015
And I may be misreading yours. Back to the Grandview case, opponents assisted the batter. The batter's teammates cannot help the batter. Your solution: change rule to allow dead ball, insert substitute runner. I thought that was a good idea.

That isn't a rule change. It is the way it is.

(But I appreciate the credit!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802