Got the No Lefty Catchers speech from a College Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Google Jenny Toppings. Left handed catcher on a well known team. Even won a few big tourneys you might have heard of. Like the Athens olympics. Played on Team USA and was All American when in college.
She isn’t just a one off either. If you watch enough college ball you see them all over. Seems like at least 1 left handed catcher
Is in the WCWS every year.

Sep 17, 2009
(Lefty catcher dad here). I would have fun with it. You've got nothing to lose. If she's got it in her, have her tell the coach -- I'm going to change your mind and be the first lefty coach you've ever signed. Then as others have said--prove it to him. He may just love that attitude. Either way, she's going to stand out from the crowd in a big-time way. If he just can't change his prejudice against it even in the face of her being awesome, his loss. If she changes his mind, she's got a spot and he (they) have a great story. Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Well Hell.

In my 16 years of being a dad, I haven't had my kids make me a carnitas burrito with extra guacamole. But it doesn't mean I'm not open to it.

Sad how a flippant comment by some schmuck can have such power. Wish he'd thought of how he said that a little more. Part of improving is having an open mind and trying new things. Perhaps he isn't into improving himself or the team.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Well Hell.

In my 16 years of being a dad, I haven't had my kids make me a carnitas burrito with extra guacamole. But it doesn't mean I'm not open to it.

Sad how a flippant comment by some schmuck can have such power. Wish he'd thought of how he said that a little more. Part of improving is having an open mind and trying new things. Perhaps he isn't into improving himself or the team.

Love this. Showing to my DD. And that comment really cut her because she LOVES, LOVES, LOVES this school. She'll just keep plugging along and sending video!

Apr 26, 2015
It's so funny (and dumb) how there is still a stigma in some people's minds about lefty catchers.

My DD used to catch - she's a lefty too - but has mostly transitioned to the OF (she's speedy and has a cannon). Last weekend she went to catch for a pitcher friend for a D1 college camp. The HC came over to talk to DD's friend after the camp (she's a 2021, DD is a 2022) and winked at DD and told her my "favorite catcher ever was a lefty - you might want to come talk to me next year". It is so funny how DD considers herself an OF but she's now had 2 college coaches take notice when she catches (one D3 coach last summer approached DD's coach after she caught a game). DD also catches for 3 pitchers during their lessons and every one of the pitching coaches call DD their favorite catcher.

OP - tell your DD to prove that coach wrong. If nothing else her passion will get his attention!

Mar 6, 2016
My dd wasn’t sure if she wanted to pitch or catch so for a while she did both. Pitching win out but she did develop an appreciation for her catchers.
Yep, same here...she pitched and caught for 4 seasons and was one of the top 2 pitchers in her age group..but just simply enjoyed playing catcher more and didn't want to put the time into pitching. So, this season which starts tomorrow she wants to focus on catching....no more pitching. As her Dad/Coach, I'm ok with that! A lot less stressful NOT being the Dad of the pitcher. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478