Got the No Lefty Catchers speech from a College Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Is this her #1 school? If yes, do whatever you can to stay on their radar, if not, move on to the next one.

May also be a reason this person is still a "Volunteer Assistant Coach" after so long and the HC and actual AC didn't say anything to her about being a lefty. If she's an athlete she is going to make plays whether she's left-handed, right-handed, or juggles the ball 3 times then throws it to third.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Is this her #1 school? If yes, do whatever you can to stay on their radar, if not, move on to the next one.

May also be a reason this person is still a "Volunteer Assistant Coach" after so long and the HC and actual AC didn't say anything to her about being a lefty. If she's an athlete she is going to make plays whether she's left-handed, right-handed, or juggles the ball 3 times then throws it to third.

She's only a sophomore, so it's kind of early to have a fully formed list of schools, but she loves this school. She said, "Mom, even if I can't play softball here, I would love to go to this school." And I agree; it's a great fit regardless of softball.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
She's a decent 1st baseman, but only 5'4." Don't know how much that matters.
At the higher levels, 16U and above TB as well as college, 1B is more about the best glove and being able to dig balls out of the dirt IMO. I will say that height does offer a slight advantage with the longer stretch/reach but not significantly except against a speedster lefty slapper. That said, does reach matter if she doesn't control, recieve it pproperly or dig it out of the dirt for an out?
I would absolutely love to have a quality, defensive, lefty catcher on my team. They have a big advantage on snaps to 3rd and controlling the lead runner once they reach that base. JMHO

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes, by example of other Lefty catchers that have been recruited it can happen for your dd as well !!

That said, college goal list should entail several options.
There are many reasons that play a factor in recruitment. Those reasons will vary per program.
Including at times size and shape of athlete. For some programs if they're left or right handed at that position can fall into that category.

Bottom line, talent and good academics will get recruited!

Keep contacting & showcasing
the other college'S on her list!

*Add would not go with volunteer assistant coach feedback.
Speak with head coach, regarding that feedback. It will also reinforce her goal of attending their program. All they can say is no thank you. What you can do is your best effort! Then she can be the competition!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Not saying to ignore the input but just keep doing what you are doing. She can hit so as everyone mentioned that is her in, don't feel terrible about one volunteer rear coach opinion, in the end if she loves the school and would attend even without softball being on the team hitting 3-6 in the lineup, playing first and being #2 catcher doesn't sound like the end of the world if that is the price to go to that school, especially if as others mentioned she might end up in the same boat at another school that just isn't being up front about it.

Oct 14, 2016
Look at Jessica Mendoza. She is not a lefty but not the reason I bring this up. Here is an excerpt from her story.

Mendoza started playing baseball with boys as a child, partly because her father was a local college coach. She switched over to softball around age 9. She was a catcher in high school and then became an outfielder in college. She was outstanding at that position at Stanford and with the U.S. team.

I put this here because as a player rises in levels, they should understand that where they played, may not be where they play now, position wise. Try not to get caught in my DD does this, so this is what she "needs" to be recruited as.

Focus on her hitting and let the college coaches decide where they are going to use her.

Nov 18, 2015
Per Wiki: Jenny Louise Topping (born May 30, 1980) is an American, former collegiate 4-time NCAA Division I First Team All-American and medal winning Olympian, retired pro All-Star left-handed hitting softball player originally from Whittier, California. She suited up primarily at the catcher's position for the University of Washington from 1999-2000 and Cal State Fullerton for the seasons 2001–2003. She is best known for being a member of the 2004 Athens Olympics Gold Medal winning Team USA. She also played professionally in the National Pro Fastpitch for the Akron Racers in 2005–2006, 2009. Currently she holds numerous school records for both universities and is the Big West batting average champion in just three seasons of play. Finally, she is one of nine NCAA players to bat .400, drive in 200 RBIs on at least 50 home runs and an .800 slugging percentage for a career.

My suggestion: Treat it like the learning experience it was, and be prepared for next time with a solid response (I'm not implying she was un-prepared, either. Sounds like she handed herself quite well). I can't easily find a roster with positions listed, but look through Wiki or the USA website and see if she can verify a stat like "25% of the of the catchers on the last two Olympic squads have been left-handed".

Also - further down the above wiki article - Topping also got a Silver medal as an alternate at the (Beijing?) Olympics

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802