Gorilla Gold

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
The silent issue in all of this is hoping the coach doesn't change his tune about your DD. There's a chance this coach may reward her for having a dad get involved, and there's another chance that he will alter his relationship with her knowing that her dad isn't above inserting himself into situations. I say all of this with "could be" and "maybe" involved, cause I don't know the coach, the team, or anything about anyone involved.

All I can tell you is, right or wrong, good and sometimes bad, my position and interactions with parents are sometimes altered when the parent inserts themselves into our pitching lesson somehow. Sometimes it's a positive thing, sometimes not. But the dichotomy changes. You might think that's wrong and I'm a jerk for saying it out loud but, I bet every private coach both hitting and pitching have different relationships with the parents who say NOTHING during lessons vs. the ones who interject things.

Maybe I'm way way off. Maybe you and the coach have been BFF's since 5th grade. I don't know. All I'm saying is, it's possible.

At the end of the day what's done is done. Even if you changed your mind about what you had done and realized it was a mistake, there's nothing you can do about it. Personally, I'm glad you have not changed your mind or your tune about it because there's very little worse than believing we let our kids down somehow. I believe in your heart you felt like you did the right thing and you might not hesitate to do it again. I do hope you pause and consider all the things other people have said before you do, just in case.

This kinda reminds me of the current Bud Light controversy. That VP really thought this was the right decision and believed in her heart this was the right path. 5 days of firestorm later and $4+BILLION in losses say another story from the public backlash. But, she's stayed firm that this was the right call for the company. Everyone has to decide for themselves if it's right or wrong.
except AB didn't lose 4+ billion.....but that's neither here no there

Aug 21, 2008
except AB didn't lose 4+ billion.....but that's neither here no there
You're right, I had read that but, apparently it's not true. I just looked it up and other sources are saying it's not true about the $4B. Someone isn't reporting accurately. But, When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong.

So, take out the $4B point of my post. But I think the point still stands that backlash happened, and the person who is responsible is standing firm on the policy. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I was only trying to use an example of something I saw similar.

Aug 21, 2008
every USA & NFHS game we've played for the past 3 years
That's incredible. I've just never had an umpire ask that at the meeting. I am glad to hear it does happen for others.

Is that really all it takes to absolve the umps of liability? I realize there's no way they could police everything. There will always be people who hide bats during inspections, or alter them somehow. I doubt there's anyway to stop that. I just wonder if someone did use an illegal bat or something where a player was hurt by a ball hit from it, who would be sued for that? Obviously the player who did it. But would there be liability against the team? The coach? Tournament sanctioning the event? Umpires? Just curious.

What about ground conditions, if a coach said it's too wet to keep playing? I've played in games where it was getting very sloppy but we kept going until the game became official. One argument made at the time was so that umpires would get their money. I try not to be THAT cynical. But if the coach said something and the ump said we keep going where an injury happened... what then?

Sorry to have hijacked the thread.

May 29, 2015
My turn to be cynical ... you have been asked many times. You just weren't paying attention (like most coaches -- which is why we are now instructed to get a verbal "yes"). ;)

In all of my umpiring experience, we are paid when we show up at the field. I won't say that is how it is everywhere, but playing to "an official game" (in my experience) has nothing to do with paying umpires. I've been paid a full game fee for two pitches (lightning). Of course, it all balances out because the next time I was at that school, we ended up playing 11 innings (and we don't get extra for that).

By NFHS rules, the home team's head coach has the authority to say if the game will be started or not. Once the umpires arrive on the field, they have sole authority to call it off. In my experience, we try to use input from both teams because we don't want to be that "we got paid, we can leave" butthead. However, sometimes we have to step in and just say no, the field is no longer safe or playable.

May 20, 2015
That's incredible. I've just never had an umpire ask that at the meeting. I am glad to hear it does happen for others.

Is that really all it takes to absolve the umps of liability? I realize there's no way they could police everything. There will always be people who hide bats during inspections, or alter them somehow. I doubt there's anyway to stop that. I just wonder if someone did use an illegal bat or something where a player was hurt by a ball hit from it, who would be sued for that? Obviously the player who did it. But would there be liability against the team? The coach? Tournament sanctioning the event? Umpires? Just curious.

What about ground conditions, if a coach said it's too wet to keep playing? I've played in games where it was getting very sloppy but we kept going until the game became official. One argument made at the time was so that umpires would get their money. I try not to be THAT cynical. But if the coach said something and the ump said we keep going where an injury happened... what then?

Sorry to have hijacked the thread. Be
Technically they did not lose 4billion but the stock did in fact drop wiping out over 7 billion in value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their market cap has been fluctuating for the past 6-8 weeks, as investors seem to think their stock price has more or less topped out; although just two days ago the price of AB stock closed at a 12-month high

To say they "lost 4 billion because of their partnership with Dylan whomever" is intentionally misleading to make a socio-political point, and ignores the realities of their recent market history

May 27, 2022
Their market cap has been fluctuating for the past 6-8 weeks, as investors seem to think their stock price has more or less topped out; although just two days ago the price of AB stock closed at a 12-month high

To say they "lost 4 billion because of their partnership with Dylan whomever" is intentionally misleading to make a socio-political point, and ignores the realities of their recent market history
Are you reading the chart from left to right or right to left. I saw some loudmouth on twitter make a claim only to have read the chart backwards.

Aug 21, 2008
My turn to be cynical ... you have been asked many times. You just weren't paying attention (like most coaches -- which is why we are now instructed to get a verbal "yes"). ;)

In all of my umpiring experience, we are paid when we show up at the field. I won't say that is how it is everywhere, but playing to "an official game" (in my experience) has nothing to do with paying umpires. I've been paid a full game fee for two pitches (lightning). Of course, it all balances out because the next time I was at that school, we ended up playing 11 innings (and we don't get extra for that).

By NFHS rules, the home team's head coach has the authority to say if the game will be started or not. Once the umpires arrive on the field, they have sole authority to call it off. In my experience, we try to use input from both teams because we don't want to be that "we got paid, we can leave" butthead. However, sometimes we have to step in and just say no, the field is no longer safe or playable.
Ahh, the verbal yes. Similar to the verbal yes required to sit in an emergency exit row on a plane.

Perhaps it's just different when it's an adult game vs. youth? I've always chuckled when bats and helmets get inspected at a Nationals on the first game of the tournament, then not afterwards. That's why I was very surprised of the thorough inspections while I was on college staffs. Bat testing and equipment inspections before every game. I had no idea that was a pre-game requirement but I guess it does make good sense from the safety perspective.

The only time I ever really paid attention was the city league back in Erie PA where I grew up. Our umpires didn't get paid if the game didn't become "official", which is probably the only way to keep an umpire from getting paid twice if the game is rained out in the 2nd inning where we'd have to start the game over, or pick it up where it left off. Either way, in theory, an umpire could get paid twice for the same game.

I find it comical when people whine and complain about umpires being paid for the games. It's not uncommon for people to make derogatory comments involving umps getting paid for the job. They love to complain but not volunteer themselves for the games. As if they think you guys should be doing the games for free. Obviously some umps are better than others but, I think 99.9999999999% are there cause they love the game.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Are you reading the chart from left to right or right to left. I saw some loudmouth on twitter make a claim only to have read the chart backwards.
If you played the buy and hold strategy with BUD over the last ten years, you've lost money. Considering what the market has done over that timeframe, it's been a piss poor investment, sort of like Bud Light. Their dividend is a paltry 1.29% per share, which for a value stock is really bad. If you bought the stock five years ago, you're down 40% on your money. Regardless of the latest flap going on with them, they're a crappy investment.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse