Gorilla gold

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Watched a D1 school pour water on their pitchers hands and then put something on their fingers. Let it dry and then pitch. What is that?

Aug 15, 2012
Is gorilla gold approved for usssa ? I've heard yes and no
Yes, it is approved by USSSA, ASA, NFHS, NCAA, ISC, ISF. This is the USSSA ruling followed by comments by Don Briscoe, the National Rules Coordinator for Fastpitch

USSSA 2011 Rules:
I. Foreign Substance on the ball/Items on pitcher. The pitcher shall not at any time be allowed to use any moisture or foreign substance on the ball, the pitching hand or fingers nor do anything to deface the ball. Neither shall any other player or team personnel apply moisture or a foreign substance to the ball nor do anything to deface the ball. Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, powdered resin may be on the hands to dry them. Gorilla Gold is a type of resin and is allow by USSSA Fast Pitch. The pitcher’s fingers, hand, wrist, forearm or elbow may be taped for injury, providing such tape is a neutral color.

Gorilla Gold is permitted under our current 6.1.I.1 which says:

Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, the pitcher may use the following items to dry the hand which is in contact with the ball: dirt (but not chalk), powdered resin, or an approved drying agent ...

I believe at the moment Gorilla Gold is the ONLY drying agent product so approved, but the rule envisions that at some point other products may be approved. This approach is consistent with other areas of the rules book where certain USSSA-approved devices or equipment are allowed by reference without mentioning the specific brand

Don Briscoe, CPA
Assistant National Director of Officials
National Rules Coordinator - Fastpitch
United States Specialty Sports Association

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Yes, it is approved by USSSA, ASA, NFHS, NCAA, ISC, ISF. This is the USSSA ruling followed by comments by Don Briscoe, the National Rules Coordinator for Fastpitch

USSSA 2011 Rules:
I. Foreign Substance on the ball/Items on pitcher. The pitcher shall not at any time be allowed to use any moisture or foreign substance on the ball, the pitching hand or fingers nor do anything to deface the ball. Neither shall any other player or team personnel apply moisture or a foreign substance to the ball nor do anything to deface the ball. Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, powdered resin may be on the hands to dry them. Gorilla Gold is a type of resin and is allow by USSSA Fast Pitch. The pitcher’s fingers, hand, wrist, forearm or elbow may be taped for injury, providing such tape is a neutral color.

Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, the pitcher may use the following items to dry the hand which is in contact with the ball: dirt (but not chalk), powdered resin, or an approved drying agent ...

I believe at the moment Gorilla Gold is the ONLY drying agent product so approved, but the rule envisions that at some point other products may be approved. This approach is consistent with other areas of the rules book where certain USSSA-approved devices or equipment are allowed by reference without mentioning the specific brand

Don Briscoe, CPA
Thank you Don.

Aug 21, 2008

USSSA 2011 Rules:

Don Briscoe, CPA
Now if you could just get umpires to update their 1980 rulebooks with 2021's version. In the same breath that I say umpires should be revered for doing a job nobody else wants to do, I wish the ones that do go out and do the games, including getting paid for doing it, would actually know what the rules are. Stop with your "present the ball" calls and know what the hell Gorilla Gold is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802