GOOD POSITIONING play at the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
YES ON LEAVING HELMET ON!!! DD caught in a game for first time in 3 years last weekend and couldn't find a popup that went straight up in the air, landed a foot or two in front of homeplate, and bounced foul. I really like and respect the HS HC... played against him several times since 8u rec and is the 2nd most sportsmanlike coach I know. He yelled "take the helmet off next time". I had to take a deep breath and count to 10 not to yell back "she's had 3 concussions and her catching coach says softball catchers never take their helmets off with the hockey mask style helmet."
Just to comment on leaving the helmet on thing here (it's a pet peeve for multiple reasons)...you're better than me in that instance. I couldn't bite my tongue fast enough and have yelled back to Leave It On! Most of the time I've had more rational discussions about this issue. This has come up with Coaches, Assistant Coaches and other parents. That's how she practices, been coached on it and believes is best. Some old school thinking when my DD's health and safety is concerned will quickly get shut down. If they don't like it, too bad...

May 7, 2015
SoCal
DD has had so many defensive opportunities this season, just last game had 2 CS, 2 Popup outs, and 2 bunts (one being safe due to high throw), and a play at the plate. Just crazy busy. Anyway, during the trinity league championship game the other team was taking video, bottom of six 0-0 and this play at the plate. Probably expecting the go ahead run! It's nuts, they still posted the video and added music.. I think its my favorite clip of DD.

Here's that same play from our game stream. Really liked the positioning.

In the next game of the series, another bang bang play at the plate but this time safe.. Her positioning was still pretty spot on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28