GOOD POSITIONING play at the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just my thoughts after going over this video several times and frame by frame, though it DID support my initial feelings, the clip at about 0:17, her foot up the line is problematic, even though she did put it there after the throw was made and the throw was slightly off-line, she had to reach across her body to the 1B side, technically, that left foot up the line IS obstruction. The next one was very good, the last (the dramatic Slo-Mo one) is tougher, she has to adjust due to the off-line throw but moves into the basepath. The runner begins to adjust prior to the ball re-entering the shot, close call and, depending on the sanction could go either way (i.e. NFHS fielder MUST have POSSESSION prior to being in the path of the runner rather than IN THE ACT OF FIELDING ("act of fielding" sanctions C is perfectly fine).

Nope. A fielder can camp out all day in the running path in front of the base/plate, without possession of the ball. It is not obstruction until the moment that the runner's progress is impeded. Where the runner might be in the future is not a consideration (except NCAA) At 0:17, C has possession of the ball as the runner starts her slide. I don't see any indication that the runner would have done anything different if C's foot wasn't there.

I could see an argument for obstruction on the last play, but in the moment, a competitor is gonna compete. There's no chance she is going to let that throw sail by on the possibility that it might be obstruction.

A secret about that last play...It's a favorable camera angle, and the ump actually got the call wrong. The runner was called out. My DD is 100% sure her tag missed the runner completely - LOL. It's still a cool highlight video ;)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
First play, she starts out great, her foot is behind the front plane of the plate, she moves it however (while the umpire moves from one side of the shot to the other) and places it directly in front of the plate prior to having possession of the ball. NFHS is a "must have possession" sanction and not an "in the act of fielding" sanction, could/should have been ruled obstruction due to the repositioning of the foot.

Second play, perfect example of what to do.

Again...Nope. The runner did not alter her progress before C had possession of the ball.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@Eric F Not saying that either of these fine young ladies were guilty of obstruction on the given play. My intent was that if they were positioned where they were they could obstruct on some future play. Just need to be aware of where the front plane of the plate is. If you are behind that, you are always good no matter what.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not saying that either of these fine young ladies were guilty of obstruction on the given play.
Nice to see you add that.

Like Those videos from @Eric F and others are GOOD examples of positioning at the plate. 👍

Add to this discussion
Being the play is at home plate we always get a home plate umpire within close proximity to making the call. Really close eyes on is needed!
Not all the time do we have a play that includes a Defensive Players Footwork, plate/foul line and Runner position.

🙂 Hopefully we all have active umpires who get the best angle for where the plate is and where everyone is!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
@Eric F Not saying that either of these fine young ladies were guilty of obstruction on the given play. My intent was that if they were positioned where they were they could obstruct on some future play. Just need to be aware of where the front plane of the plate is. If you are behind that, you are always good no matter what.
Have received a comment about this post. Defining front plane of the plate or the bag and remaining behind that plane. What I intended to convey is the dotted green line is the "front plane" (as seen from the catcher's perspective while attempting at tag play. If the C,s feet remain in the area to the right of that line, they will always be good. (FURTHER EDIT) It seems my non-artistic illustration just added to some confusion so have replaced it with a video

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
I always thought the rule of thumb was two feet in front of the plate and two inches two the right (of the foul line). The reasoning was you were still in position to drop a knee if they hook slide.

It's from the NECC...I would need to check my notes.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Nice to see you add that.

Like Those videos from @Eric F and others are GOOD examples of positioning at the plate. 👍

Add to this discussion
Being the play is at home plate we always get a home plate umpire within close proximity to making the call. Really close eyes on is needed!
Not all the time do we have a play that includes a Defensive Players Footwork, plate/foul line and Runner position.

🙂 Hopefully we all have active umpires who get the best angle for where the plate is and where everyone is!

Unfortunately, umps don't always put themselves in the best spot. In this play from my DD's HS game last night, the ump's view of the plate was obstructed by the sliding runner, and it prevented him from being able to make an accurate call.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Unfortunately, umps don't always put themselves in the best spot. In this play from my DD's HS game last night, the ump's view of the plate was obstructed by the sliding runner, and it prevented him from being able to make an accurate call.

Clearly terrible umpires angle.

GREAT PLAY OUT!
Excellent defensive positioning!

Keep posting these great action shots!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Clearly terrible umpires angle.

GREAT PLAY OUT!
Excellent defensive positioning!

Keep posting these great action shots!!

My kid got this runner out twice in the same sequence, but she scored a run - LOL. On the pitch, the runner was at 1B, and stole 2B. DD's throw to 2B was to the right place with plenty of time (easy out!)...but SS was unable to hang on to the ball, and it bounced into the OF. The runner motored around 3B and into the play in the video (out again!). Oh, well. That's how things happen sometimes. That was the only run allowed by my DD's team in a very lopsided win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom