Good or bad swinging down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Nah, love reading the forum. I do feel like the "establishment" generally like a swing a certain way and that there are a vocal contingency here that are in opposition to that way of thinking. I find it humorous when critiques about Jocylyn Alo being bat-draggy pop up, same with some other very high end D1 swings.

Just because Alo will probably become the all time HR leader doesn't mean that her swing is perfect, but I GUARANTEE that Alo's coach and hitting "team" are happy with how she swings. Are they right or are they wrong??

Is it a case of the existing coaches being behind the times and some here are way ahead? Who knows, only time will tell.

FWIW, my DD did not adapt to a lot of specifics of a HLP swing. Her coaches, both hitting and team, do not like many of the visuals of that type of swing, since she never adapted well, she has eschewed it for the most part. We mostly work on having the right approach for pitches. What has stuck with me is a quote from a big D1 coach, basically saying (paraphrasing) "I expect batters to read and adjust to inside/outside pitches. Batters can get beat on elevation, but inside/outside you need to get the good part of the bat on the ball"
Discussing swings on the internet and working with an actual hitter, in particular one who is successful and is young, are two different things. There is a fine line between letting them know they can be even better then they are already and blowing their confidence.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812