Good article - what's your takeaway?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not many programs have the resources/talent to do this but there are some great concepts that can be used.

The article really demonstrates the respect the coaching staff at UCLA have for the players. Allowing the catcher's to take further responsibility of their role on the field and with the team.
Utilizing the players/catchers 'brain ability' acknowledging it is a critical skill set on the field by using those type of analytics watching video Etc.

Very impressive! The coaching staff is inclusive of the players as instrumental thinkers and do'ers. (not just standing in front of the players dictating details.)

🏆Think it's phenomenal!!!
Should be an example for all of softball!!!🏁

Along with that
Really great to see catchers get appreciation!

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
It's cool that the bullpen catchers are getting recognized, absolutely. I would point out that the pitchers were All-Americans before they got to UCLA and if you had to pick between the pitchers and the bullpen catchers to start a college team, it's not even a discussion.

What if my bullpen catchers watched their games and charted their pitch-calling tendencies for their pitchers? Now my hitters know that they know so here we are.

Super cool story but those talented pitchers are winning regardless.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
It's cool that the bullpen catchers are getting recognized, absolutely. I would point out that the pitchers were All-Americans before they got to UCLA and if you had to pick between the pitchers and the bullpen catchers to start a college team, it's not even a discussion.

What if my bullpen catchers watched their games and charted their pitch-calling tendencies for their pitchers? Now my hitters know that they know so here we are.

Super cool story but those talented pitchers are winning regardless.
Absolutely agree with the talent level of these pitchers...having everyone involved in the process would only seem to strengthen the entire team.

*on a related note it's great watching Rachel Garcia in her role with San Diego State and their pitching staff.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Absolutely agree with the talent level of these pitchers...having everyone involved in the process would only seem to strengthen the entire team.

*on a related note it's great watching Rachel Garcia in her role with San Diego State and their pitching staff.
Yep do your thing and make it happen Rachel Garcia. Happy to know one of the catchers there! Especially with head coach Stacy Nuveman.
Great combination on their coaching staff!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K