Glove recommendations for 7/8th graders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2014
So we are first year 14U and players are 7/8th grade. A good amount are looking for gloves and my thought is they are still growing so go mid line, easy to break-in options (Liberty etc..) and have them get a forever glove before going into high school. We are not a high end going to be a showcase team. We are a competitive B team but have families with some minor financial issues and I try to keep dues low and not do top of the line things. Winter of 2021 we got great deals on bats after Covid to save a lot of money. I even purchased a few longer bats to help us out this coming season. So now we are working on better gloves. Half the team pitches or catches and the other half that do not, have either outfield or infield as their prime position, but play both as needed. So should I recommend a 12.5" glove for those girls?

I am the manager of the team by the way. Any recommendations would be great.

Apr 7, 2018
12.5 is good for all positions if you have to pick one size. 11.75-12.75 will cover all fastpitch gloves sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 28, 2019
I'd say 12.5" is probably more ideal for all OF and 3rd and 1st base.
I'd say 12" is most ideal for SS and 2B.

But you can probably get by with any glove in that range anywhere. Also can be a personal preference by each.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Talk to your girls and parents and get a show of hands of just how many are in on a group buy. Call Pete at Vinci and see what kind of discount he can give you on the "X" amount of gloves you need? I honestly don't know if they actually discount that way but it's worth a phone call to find out!

Tell him you're interested in the 12.5" BV1929, it's a great do all utility glove that plays right around 12.25". I personally would never recommend a 12.5" glove for 2B or SS but the BV1929 is probably the only glove I can think of right off that can be used anywhere on the field.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I agree that 12.25 - 12.5 is the most versatile size you can get for a group playing different positions. You're also correct in looking for the Liberty Advanced series to keep costs low since that was important to you. They're not a forever glove, but you'll get a few years out of them. Vinci makes great gloves, but they're significantly more expensive.

Do you have a budget in mind? My store carries most brands, although supplies are very limited now.

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions. I can definitely save you some money.

Nov 18, 2015
Unless Vinci had a major price increase, the Liberty Advanced are no longer in the “cheap” category.

I bought my LA catchers mitt for about $125 ~3 years ago. They seem to be around $180 nowadays. I don’t think there’s been any change in quality that would warrant that increase, other than production costs.

When you can get an All-Star catchers mitt for $50 less than a LA, that tells me the LA are at least $25 over priced.

Look into the Vinci’s, or even the Wilson A950 or 1000 series. For any lefties, they can get their forever glove a little sooner via a Mizuno Pro Select ($99-$125).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 26, 2021
Franklin sports youth baseball glove is great. The product's perfect i-Web pocket design, which is neither too deep nor too shallow, is a strong feature that merits praise. My nephew claimed that this specific feature distinguishes the stylish and robust model from its rivals. He can quickly retrieve and eject the ball, allowing games to proceed without interruption.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28