Glove Recommendation for 9yo DD?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2019
Something to last a few years, i'd go 12".

My son has a custom Bradley gloves that we've really enjoyed.

My DD got a Nokona 12.5" glove when she was 11. Hard to beat Nokona and their leathers. Also a bit unusual for girls to have nokona vs the boys so i liked that.

Apr 7, 2021

My DD is 10 and she uses a Bradley like the ones linked above. Once she got hers a few other girls on the team went and got one too. I can’t say enough nice things about them.
Seriously considering them, seem to get rave reviews.

Apr 7, 2021
Mizuno MVP Prime Fastpitch Glove $105 at dicks. Nice leather, close to broken in at the store. I'd look for an older black model, Dicks still has them online.

I would actually look at a 12 or 12.5" in this glove (or any glove really). At this age, you need a large pocket to hold the ball. Hands are too small, and not strong enough to "grip" the ball using a smaller glove. It sounds counter intuitive, but coaching two DDs through rec leagues convinced me larger is better at 8u and 10u. If you want your kid to learn to catch properly, then the ball has to stay in the pocket. Smaller gloves, the ball pops out, and they will revert to "basket" catching, because that is only way to keep ball off ground.

One DD used a Wilson A800, also in a 12.5, and I liked that glove as well. But the Mizuno seemed to be a higher quality glove, so that is probably what I would get today. Never held the A900, so maybe the quality has improved.
I love the Mizuno quality, and was ready to buy a Prime for her, but we've tried a few at Dick's and she didn't like the way they feel.
Leaning towards either the A950 or a Bradley right now.

Apr 7, 2021
Check out Bradley Gloves as well. The hand/finger stalls are specifically sized for young hands. I would go with the Next Play series. These are geared towards 9-12 year old. They have both fast pitch (FP) and baseball versions. The glove shell patterns are the same between the gloves, but the FP gloves have velcro wrists and the baseball gloves have a laced wrist. A H-web makes a nice all around glove. They have 11.5", 11.75", or 12". Here are a few choices, but search the website as there are lots more. I would stay away from any of the steerhide or kip leather gloves for a 9 year old. Those gloves will be a bit heavier/stiffer requiring more break in and more hand strength.

This one is on clearance.

Those are some pretty gloves for sure! Lucky for me, I showed her the choices and she loves the one in clearance.
We are going to try on a couple gloves at Dick's, but right now the Bradley is the leader.

Apr 7, 2021
We just bought a Rawlings GG Elite 12” for my 9 year old this weekend at Dicks. It’s nearly broken in after two practices and throwing in the backyard. We tried all the Mizunos but she said they hurt her pinky. She also liked the fur in the Rawlings.

She actually tried this one on at Dick's last week and loved the way it felt. She isn't picky on color, but for some reason doesn't want white. I have an older GG Elite that I use frequently, and had held up well.

Apr 7, 2021
Is the mizuno pro select baseball glove in a 11.75 too much glove for a 9 years old? The hand stall might be too big for their hands.
Off the shelf, we tried a Mizuno Prime SE and it was way too stiff. Haven't seen a pro select to try though. I'm betting some vigorous break in would work either way, but it could be a pancake by the time she could use it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802