Glove help for 10 yo and 12yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
My 10 yo will be moving up to 12u with her team for fall, she has had the same $29 mizuno prospect since t ball and she is very attached to it. It served her fairly well with an 11” ball but its just to small for a 12” ball. She pitches, although may not see a ton of time pitching with some older players we are taking on. She is extremely small for 10, and accordingly has small hands, when trying as few gloves we had laying around from my older dd she had a hard time closing them.
She is going to be growing so fast (or maybe not lol) and possibly shifting positions I am thinking I really dont want to spend a whole lot. Any suggestions? Scheels here locally seemed to be out of everything we were interested in.

My 12 yo plays mostly 3rd base, for her I would like to get her something that will last a few years, and again cant find much locally.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
My 10 yo will be moving up to 12u with her team for fall, she has had the same $29 mizuno prospect since t ball and she is very attached to it. It served her fairly well with an 11” ball but its just to small for a 12” ball. She pitches, although may not see a ton of time pitching with some older players we are taking on. She is extremely small for 10, and accordingly has small hands, when trying as few gloves we had laying around from my older dd she had a hard time closing them.
She is going to be growing so fast (or maybe not lol) and possibly shifting positions I am thinking I really dont want to spend a whole lot. Any suggestions? Scheels here locally seemed to be out of everything we were interested in.

My 12 yo plays mostly 3rd base, for her I would like to get her something that will last a few years, and again cant find much locally.
@ANNASDAD or @Schmick's Gloves. You can't go wrong with either one's suggestions.

Sep 19, 2018
For your younger DD, I agree don't go expensive. Not only with the stiffness be an issue, but the weight as well. Spring of first year 10U I got dd a Wlison like this

You can often get it cheaper. I had it put in the dreaded death both and the glove was ready for a 9 year old the day after I got it.
Fall of first year 12U, she got a good glove to start breaking in (12'' A2000 No death box for this glove). I could not get that old crappy glove out of her hands until last week when the leather ripped. All in all, she got almost 3 years out of that glove. Tons of practices and over 100 games.

If you can hold off a little bit longer for your older DD, sales will be happening soon. Wilson does a 40% off in Spet /Oct. I believe Rawlings does as well. Last year, Marucci, had a 50% off sale. By all accounts, their new fastpitch gloves are nice.

as was suggested @ANNASDAD always has good ideas.

We've have all resigned our selves to a new bat ever 12-18 months. We should also understand that the young ones will also need to grow into new glvoes more often than the older girls.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

Sorry so long to reply.....For your 10 year old, I'd call Jeff at Bradley gloves tomorrow, tell him your situation and let him put you in a glove, he won't steer you wrong. Since she's moving to a 12" ball in the Fall (and it'll be here soon), it would be nice to get a jump on the break in now! I'm interested in what size glove and web he would recommend? I'm a huge fan of a 12" glove, it's just always been the sweet spot for us, he may suggest a 11.75" since she's so small?

Now on to your 12 year old, how big is she, how big are her hands, and at what level does she play?? At 12 is where I put Anna in a custom / Kip / brick of a glove, she didn't quite hate me at that time, but it was close!

Answer me those 3 questions and we'll continue!

Jun 26, 2019
Now on to your 12 year old, how big is she, how big are her hands, and at what level does she play?? At 12 is where I put Anna in a custom / Kip / brick of a glove, she didn't quite hate me at that time, but it was close!

Answer me those 3 questions and we'll continue!

She is playing on a community ed team through her school ,so probably a “c level, and will be playing middle school ball next spring, moving to 14 u this fall if I didn’t mention that. As far as her build, she is average height for her age and maybe a bit thinner than average, I would guess average size hands.
As I am writing this, I realize another piece of info, at her school the grade above her has a very small turnout for girls playing softball and her grade has a fairly solid large group, and she may have an opportunity to play up, which may prompt some time in different positions other than 3rd base.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
She is playing on a community ed team through her school ,so probably a “c level, and will be playing middle school ball next spring, moving to 14 u this fall if I didn’t mention that. As far as her build, she is average height for her age and maybe a bit thinner than average, I would guess average size hands.
As I am writing this, I realize another piece of info, at her school the grade above her has a very small turnout for girls playing softball and her grade has a fairly solid large group, and she may have an opportunity to play up, which may prompt some time in different positions.
While you’re on the phone with Bradley, let him know this may be a two glove purchase, maybe step up one level for your older DD. A 12” H-web model may be just what she’s looking for!

Jun 26, 2019
While you’re on the phone with Bradley, let him know this may be a two glove purchase, maybe step up one level for your older DD. A 12” H-web model may be just what she’s looking for!

How much time do the bradley gloves take to get broke in? Something that will be ready quickly would be nice. On a unrelated note I just got a new Allstar pro series and holy cow when that thing came out of the box I couldn’t close it if I jumped up and down on it. Its been a slow process. I was debating using a pitching machine to break it in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12