Giving signs from 3rd base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Why are you decoding numbers? When I hear these stories it jus sounds like a coach that doesn't understand how to implement wristbands effectively.

Over half of the numbers called out offensively are most likely "nothing" and the hitter should know this immediately when they hear the number. The hitter should glance at the wristband for "show".

For pitchers we have to simulate a sign from the catcher as the wristbands are too efficient.

I suppose if you give each batter an Enigma machine that could slow the pace of play.
I don't know..again go watch a 10U-14U game and tell me what the kids are doing when it takes them 10s to figure out the sign. Don't shoot the messenger. I don't care either way.

Jun 8, 2016
If coaches calling out numbers is the thing that bothers you about TB, I am not sure what to tell you.
It doesn't bother me..I said that twice already. Fact of the matter is it takes some kids a while to figure out the sign..what do you want me to say? Maybe it is a coaching thing..no idea. I don't coach..I have never looked at one of those wristbands in my life.

Good grief people..If I say ice cream tastes great there are some people on here who will jump down my throat for saying it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There is no decoding. It takes maybe 3-5 seconds for me to call a number and my player to look and understand. If coaches don't like the number/wristband system then they don't have to use it. You'd think from these comments that it adds hours to a game. Nonsense, maybe 1-2 seconds longer than a sign. Not my fault TD's cram as many 60-70 minutes games into a day as they can.

If coaches calling out numbers is the thing that bothers you about TB, I am not sure what to tell you.
Thank you for adding to the discussion with how long it takes. I was going to guess about the same.

So that could be about 6 to10 seconds more per pitch per batter.

Hmmm could be a minute per batter?!
That could eat up game time.
Good way to stall for teams that like to control the clock...
Something to watch out for if team
needs more at-bats.
Or
Drop dead games...
Or
Revert back...

May 17, 2012
I disagree that wristbands when used properly add more time to the game.

There is no doubt that there are coaches that are not implementing wristbands correctly and that is slowing down the game.

Wristbands when used correctly are super efficient and players never miss a sign. This is why they are so popular.

Jun 8, 2016
I will tell you it is. Having umpired for almost 30 years, the wrist bands have slowed the game down so much, it isn’t fun to umpire anymore. Play the game, quit looking at wrist bands.

This is your original post I responded to:
How can that even be possible?
I am glad you were able to answer your own question:
There is no doubt that there are coaches that are not implementing wristbands correctly and that is slowing down the game.

(I think) The question wasn't SHOULD it slow down the game, it was whether it does (in some circumstances).

Also, for the third time, I will say I don't really care whether the game gets slowed down or not just in case somebody wants to call me Satan over it..

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
All I know is that at a game last Sunday, the coach called out 4-5-5 after looking at his card for a few seconds. The batter looked at her wristband for several seconds and said, Coach, there is no 4-5-5. Then after a few more seconds she said, oh, now i see it. Maybe they were just stalling.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
All I know is that at a game last Sunday, the coach called out 4-5-5 after looking at his card for a few seconds. The batter looked at her wristband for several seconds and said, Coach, there is no 4-5-5. Then after a few more seconds she said, oh, now i see it. Maybe they were just stalling.
I get a kick out of the coaches that have the team repeat the numbers.

The coach yells out 421 and the players have to yell out 421.

Not even involved in the game, watching, eating snacks, completely makes me want to yell out 214. 142. 😎🥳...LOUD

Feb 24, 2021
I'll have to agree with SATAN of DFP, I can care less either way who uses them but it's frustrating when they aren't used correctly and drags out every pitch, at-bat, or defensive play. Some coaches get out of hand trying to call something EVERY pitch offense or defense. Just me 2 cents.....

Jun 8, 2016
I'll have to agree with SATAN of DFP, I can care less either way who uses them but it's frustrating when they aren't used correctly and drags out every pitch, at-bat, or defensive play. Some coaches get out of hand trying to call something EVERY pitch offense or defense. Just me 2 cents.....
I don't even care if it gets dragged out. Point was sometimes it does regardless of whether it should in theory.

May 17, 2012
It's like saying batting gloves slows down the game. It does for some batters but I don't blame the batting gloves.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478