Get RAD Catching Workout~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Get RAD Catching Workout
Call this "our 5 n 5's"
Can be done with or without a ball.
Will show both!

5x each mechanic
Front x5
Left side x5
Right side x5
Each 5x set is done back to back,
Adding next mechanic/skill.
Can see the skills stacking as workout progesses.

First Workout (without ball)
is a mechanic workout focussing on
Correct technique
developing muscle memory.

Second Workout (with ball)
Adds technical glovework
With transition.

*throwing s.b. from about 10 feet away
= quick reaction time.
*average pace is about 20 minutes for 1 workout.
15 minutes with hussle. ;)
*doing it with correct mechanics is first goal.
developing speed at it ultimate goal !
*also train using these mechanics throwing at a target.

Special THANK YOU
To student Natalya Rodriguez 17yr old 2021 and her Mom
Contributing their effort, time,
and video skills to document this for me.
ENJOY 👍
~Turbo

Here is 14yr old 2024 Ella Pace

Thank you for the inquiry. Thot to share that answer for others as well. :)

Yes Natalya did all of those mechanics drill workouts consecutively...
We took a short water break in between the 1st session no ball.
Then the 2nd session with ball.
*Btw, Good eye noticing the glove & transition muscle memory work even with the no ball workout!

Yes its certainly wonderful to have the opportunity to work with dedicated athletes!
Time well enjoyed!:)

Great Job RAD CATCHERS
Ready And Durable 👍
Appreciate the Heart 🎉
~Sue Trubovitz "Turbo"

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Thanks a ton RAD!! Appreciate it.

Yes, just turned 12 a couple months ago. We do similar drills from watching your videos online and will definitely incorporate ones in that video. But I definitely think we don't do it enough x per week.

I agree 100% on muscle memory. Much of my background is in kinesiology and sport specific training and muscle memory is so crucial to overcome/override initial bad habits/movements. I think her reactions to balls in dirt are in that in between stage of reach or block and "block" hasn't quite overcome "reach" yet. Lol 😀 Sometimes she does...sometimes she doesn't.

Ill try and post a pic of her hand/body position as well. When she reaches her glove hand (shes a lefty) stays as it is but just extends her arm out to try and catch the ball right as it hits the dirt. She doesn't flip her glove over palm up. Just out and to the ball. But every now and then she'll miss by an inch or two and the ball will ricochet up the back of her right forearm and shoulder.

In her mind she thinks she can "pick it" right off the dirt (which isn't always a bad thought) but will miss on some. Hasn't quite learned "What can I get and what I can't" yet.
How are things going?
Any feedback on glove range and controlling the ball?

Mar 6, 2016
How are things going?
Any feedback on glove range and controlling the ball?
Hey RAD,

Sorry, haven't been on the board lately. School/work started back up and also started coaching new TB team. Time flies when you're having fun right? lol

Now that I'm coaching again, the drills for our catchers get incorporated into our practices. So, DD get her work in with those drills along with the other catchers. Each of the 3 we have has little things they do better or not as well as the other. My DD gets better competing with another catcher who is very natural at blocking. Seems so easy for this girl, which motivates my DD. Whereas my DD is a bit better at framing and receiving and it helps the others.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Hey RAD,

Sorry, haven't been on the board lately. School/work started back up and also started coaching new TB team. Time flies when you're having fun right? lol

Now that I'm coaching again, the drills for our catchers get incorporated into our practices. So, DD get her work in with those drills along with the other catchers. Each of the 3 we have has little things they do better or not as well as the other. My DD gets better competing with another catcher who is very natural at blocking. Seems so easy for this girl, which motivates my DD. Whereas my DD is a bit better at framing and receiving and it helps the others.
Of course school and work are important but let's not let them get in the way of the real priority... softball
:) coaching is important glad that's on the schedule!

Seems to be fairly typical that catchers will exhibit different quality traits until they become more rounded.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Thank you Discuss Fastpitch for the opportunity to post videos like these for the softball/sports community!

ZAP
LETS THROW RUNNERS OUT ! 👍

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Here is the training workout!
Please let me know if you have any questions/comments.
Thank you for contacting me Coach J.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Catchers~ involved in every pitch of the game...
be the target, be defense!
A reminder to train our mechanics!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802