Gasso on NIL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Nothing controversial about her comments, IMO. Any coach in her position likely would see what she's seeing and worry about it to the extent that it could affect the performance of the team.

It's no different than last year when she was concerned that being undefeated and called the greatest team in history was a distraction. She wasn't complaining about being undefeated and blowing everyone's doors off. She was just concerned that the hype might put the team in the wrong frame of mind. Same with this. She's not complaining about players having NIL deals and making money. She's just trying to keep her players focused on the task at hand. That's her job.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
The only player that moved from 5th to 9th in the batting order is Jayda Coleman... I'm not sure the batting order issue plays into the NIL stuff. She had a rough start offensively to the season but has clawed back to batting .370.. Not shabby at all.

I have no idea if its true, but a simple google search for that players name and NIL shows that she only has the one contract with Cameo.. Who knows how much that takes away from the focus.

This might all be just another reminder by Gasso to stay focused and not get complacent from a championship and a perfect record so far.

Jul 31, 2015
It's no different than last year when she was concerned that being undefeated and called the greatest team in history was a distraction. She wasn't complaining about being undefeated and blowing everyone's doors off. She was just concerned that the hype might put the team in the wrong frame of mind. Same with this. She's not complaining about players having NIL deals and making money. She's just trying to keep her players focused on the task at hand. That's her job.

Maybe, but probably not.

It would be one thing if she said she didn't like NIL and the effect it's having on players, and that it's creating a distraction.

But it's a different thing to advertise that she's unhappy with the effect NIL is having on the team, acknowledge that it's interfering with "my livelihood too" and then respond to the newfound player freedoms with "blue collar work".

Those latter words and actions put her in an entirely different category.

Oct 14, 2019
This is a big nothing. She simply said her team is not paying attention to details and NIL could be one factor taking player’s attention away from their preparation.

“I'm not saying that the NIL is creating these things, because I don't know.”. - Gasso.

Jun 8, 2016
This is a big nothing. She simply said her team is not paying attention to details and NIL could be one factor taking player’s attention away from their preparation.

“I'm not saying that the NIL is creating these things, because I don't know.”. - Gasso.
It is a big deal because she said it just like Bahl leaping is a big deal and just like Boyle’s law resulted in a 4 game suspension.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I can see the day coming when schools along with the players reps/agents/attorneys will include some premade endorsement deals as part of the recruitment package. Like the local car dealership, pizzeria, Easton, etc. jumping into the game. Capitalism running wild. I love it!

Other big-time college quarterbacks like Oklahoma's Spencer Rattler grabbed NIL deals from multi-million dollar corporations such as Raising Canes' while high school prospects like rising junior Arch Manning, the grandson of Ole Miss great Archie Manning and the No. 1 quarterback in the Class of 2023, are garnering million-dollar NIL valuations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598