Gasso on NIL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
Distractions have always been apart of sports, NIL will be another one(whispers from outside people will destroy alot of teams). Money and attention are very disruptive

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Well, Patty is not alone in facing these new challenges. Every high profile team will have to deal with this, arguably some more than Oklahoma.

A bigger potential problem I see is if a high profile player has a big NIL deal with a company that is also a school booster, that company has a financial interest in making sure that kid doesn't get benched for poor performance. So now money has influence on the starting lineup. Play Suzy Spokeswoman or lose our support.

Jul 31, 2015
First - can someone please name the player? Or DM me and I'll let everyone know. No fun playing guessing games.

Second - Patti Gasso is a prima donna. Her team is 20-0, but since she's lost a speck of control she's decided to go public with her complaints:

"By rule, Gasso isn’t allowed to “monitor” her athletes’ NIL endeavors. She’s supposed to remover herself from their NIL equation. Coaches can have team policies, but athletes can loosely skirt those if it’s an NIL opportunity. Anything else and Gasso can be seen as restricting their ability to earn. That’s the tough part for coaches who have made it literally their business and their careers to know every aspect of their players’ lives — athletic, academic, family, personal, financial, everything. Gasso said on a radio interview Tuesday, “this is my livelihood too.”"

NIL is doing exactly what it was meant to do - allow athletes to make a life and money for themselves, away from the plantation.

Third - it's notable that Gasso's response is to double down on the plantation system -

“What we have started to do now is create like, a blue-collar day, where after practice, they're all given job responsibilities. Last night, we’re raking leaves, were blowing out the dugouts, we’re down on our hands and knees picking up little pieces (of) trash from the indoor. They're picking up trash behind the grandstands. I mean, they are sweeping off the turf."

Yeah, she's a good coach, but she's also a prima donna control freak.

She's made millions off unpaid college students for years and years. Now that the players have an outlet to express themselves and make money off their softball prowess, and she can't intervene, she's complaining loudly and bitterly. The team is 20-0, she needs to shut up and deal with it.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
First, can someone please name the player? Or DM me and I'll let everyone know. No fun playing guessing games.
Not hard to figure out..

Second, Patti Gasso is a prima donna. Her team is 20-0, but since she's lost a speck of control she's complaining to the media:
When you were complaining about Bahl you said you liked Gasso...what happened?

I actually like OU.
Patti Gasso is a class act.

Which one is it?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2015
Not hard to figure out..

When you were complaining about Bahl you said you liked Gasso...what happened?

Which one is it?

Hard to figure out if you don't follow OU closely.

New information drives new thinking - that's the mark of an intelligent person; I'm sure you know that.

I still think she's a good coach.

Jun 8, 2016
Hard to figure out if you don't follow OU closely.
I am not going to give names publicly since it I am just guessing..

New information drives new thinking - that's the mark of an intelligent person; I'm sure you know that.

I still think she's a good coach.
Wow..one comment and she goes from class act to prima donna..that's rough. Also I never claimed to be intelligent..I just play one on TV.

Last edited:
May 11, 2014
First - can someone please name the player? Or DM me and I'll let everyone know. No fun playing guessing games.

Second - Patti Gasso is a prima donna. Her team is 20-0, but since she's lost a speck of control she's decided to go public with her complaints:

"By rule, Gasso isn’t allowed to “monitor” her athletes’ NIL endeavors. She’s supposed to remover herself from their NIL equation. Coaches can have team policies, but athletes can loosely skirt those if it’s an NIL opportunity. Anything else and Gasso can be seen as restricting their ability to earn. That’s the tough part for coaches who have made it literally their business and their careers to know every aspect of their players’ lives — athletic, academic, family, personal, financial, everything. Gasso said on a radio interview Tuesday, “this is my livelihood too.”"

NIL is doing exactly what it was meant to do - allow athletes to make a life and money for themselves, away from the plantation.

Third - it's notable that Gasso's response is to double down on the plantation system -

“What we have started to do now is create like, a blue-collar day, where after practice, they're all given job responsibilities. Last night, we’re raking leaves, were blowing out the dugouts, we’re down on our hands and knees picking up little pieces (of) trash from the indoor. They're picking up trash behind the grandstands. I mean, they are sweeping off the turf."

Yeah, she's a good coach, but she's also a prima donna control freak.

She's made millions off unpaid college students for years and years. Now that the players have an outlet to express themselves and make money off their softball prowess, and she can't intervene, she's complaining loudly and bitterly. The team is 20-0, she needs to shut up and deal with it.
Jealous much. Guess I missed the part where the players were forced to join the team and the part where most players never got any scholarship money.
Edit- this has to be a joke post

Jun 8, 2016
To the topic at hand, I have no issue with the NIL and coaches will have to learn how to deal with the complications that come from it. My guess is having cellphones surgically attached to their hands at all times provides just as many complications as the NIL..Knowing Gasso she was probably just trying to get in her player's heads using the media..she has done that for other things in the past..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28