Gasso on NIL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
Interesting piece about OU coach Patty Gasso discussing the NCAA’s new Name Image Likeness policy:

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma...for-oklahoma-still-missing-the-little-things

This may have come up already in regards to football and basketball players, but it’s the first time I’ve seen a softball coach stating publicly that endorsement opportunities may be creating a distraction for her team.

This is probably unique to the big-name programs, but it has the potential to seep down into any level player who achieves local notoriety and is offered money to make an appearance.

Personally, I’m glad that NCAA athletes are being allowed to capitalize on their athletic achievements, particularly for softball players for whom college is the pinnacle of their sport. I find Gasso’s assertion that pursuing these opportunities could distract players to be dubious, at best.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Interesting piece about OU coach Patty Gasso discussing the NCAA’s new Name Image Likeness policy:

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma...-for-oklahoma-still-missing-the-little-things

This may have come up already in regards to football and basketball players, but it’s the first time I’ve seen a softball coach stating publicly that endorsement opportunities may be creating a distraction for her team.

This is probably unique to the big-name programs, but it has the potential to seep down into any level player who achieves local notoriety and is offered money to make an appearance.

Personally, I’m glad that NCAA athletes are being allowed to capitalize on their athletic achievements, particularly for softball players for whom college is the pinnacle of their sport. I find Gasso’s assertion that pursuing these opportunities could distract players to be dubious, at best.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a feeling I know exactly who she is talking about on her team..look at how the batting order has changed this year and her OF comment..

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I find Gasso’s assertion that pursuing these opportunities could distract players to be dubious, at best.
Really? I've got two kids in school right now, and they've got their hands full. I could easily see how something like marketing yourself could be distracting to any college athlete, particularly one in a high profile program. I watched Spencer Rattler pretty much come apart last Fall.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I have a feeling I know exactly who she is talking about on her team..look at how the batting order has changed this year and her OF comment..
I see two possibles. Interesting how she went out of her way to sort out Alo on the "good" list. That said, I don't think playing for Gasso has ever been easy.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
What has changed on the batting order (I guess I could look it up!)? What was the comment?

May 11, 2014
I'm assuming he is talking about the player who had a breakout performance at the world series but is now hitting well under .200.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm assuming he is talking about the player who had a breakout performance at the world series but is now hitting well under .200.
or the one who batted in the top 3 or 4 in the lineup and now bats in the bottom (9th at times)
Either one would be a good guess..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2