Game hitting strategy - dinks vs gaps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2020
I am seeing more and more teams at high level 12/14U with the half swing dinks vs the power swings in gaps. We swing for doubles, triples, and HR but are susceptible to not producing every run in scoring position due to a K or hard liner/fly. Do you teach all of the girls the half swing dinks? Certain situations only? With a runner in scoring position, 1 out, and 3,4,5 hitters up are you having them put a liner in the gap or dinking a half swing over infielders head? What do you see in your area?

May 17, 2012
The goal is doubles or better.

This is also one of the main reasons that MLB doesn't bunt against the shift. It isn't a double.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I would never work on or request a regular hitter to half swing. I think true 5 tool slappers need to be able to capitalize by utilizing various swings based upon the positioning of the defence, but otherwise, harder hit balls are generally better IMO

Sep 28, 2020
I would never work on or request a regular hitter to half swing. I think true 5 tool slappers need to be able to capitalize by utilizing various swings based upon the positioning of the defence, but otherwise, harder hit balls are generally better IMO
would you ever teach now a day on 2 strikes to "put the ball in play" meaning weak contact to push the runner along? Same idea I guess.

Jun 20, 2015
there's a reason big time hitting instructors focus on max exit speed on batted balls. Yes, you will have the occasional line out double play. But that screamer thru the infield is more likely to be XBH or even ROE versus purposely trying to hit little bloops. and yes, slappers are different animal.

the one thing i do work on is the girls knowing the game and when hitting to right field is called for to move runners. but again, smash that sucker to RC, no bloop over 2b head.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
would you ever teach now a day on 2 strikes to "put the ball in play" meaning weak contact to push the runner along? Same idea I guess.
absolutely, situational hitting is really really important. I'm not sure that weak contact is the goal, but hard hit to the right side would be the goal with runner on 2B or 3B.

Nightmare scenario is weak pop up or weak grounder to 3B

I'm not sure whether hitters think hard to the right side or no hits to the left side... Really doesn't matter as the desired outcome is the same.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I am seeing more and more teams at high level 12/14U with the half swing dinks vs the power swings in gaps. We swing for doubles, triples, and HR but are susceptible to not producing every run in scoring position due to a K or hard liner/fly. Do you teach all of the girls the half swing dinks? Certain situations only? With a runner in scoring position, 1 out, and 3,4,5 hitters up are you having them put a liner in the gap or dinking a half swing over infielders head? What do you see in your area?
In the competition's you are watching would you say the pitching Talent is equal for both teams?
Are you seeing the pitchers dominating
Regular full swing hitters?

Jun 11, 2013
The best teams can do anything. They can beat you with small ball, they can hit for power, they can produce runs when needed. They get runners in from 3rd when they need to. I don't think a full strategy of dink and dunk is useful, but being able to go the other way in a big situation is a nice luxury to have.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

No, because that's results-based thinking and it's a terrible way to teach and evaluate.

A weak grounder that moves the runner along has a fine consolation prize, but I'd still rather have the hitter who hits a screamer into the gap that's caught because the outfielder made a good play. On balance, that rocket is going to help my team way more often than the ground out.

It's also just faulty logic to assume "going the other way" is either small ball or somehow not part of a great hitter hitting the ball hard.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Saw tournament championship game today. Home team down 2-1 bottom 7th. Lead off double (8 hitter).

9 hitter takes ball, passed ball, runner advances to 3rd. Next pitch she swings and lines out to shortstop.

Lead off lefty slapper pops first pitch to second base.

2 hitter pops to short left field to end game.

Somebody needs to bunt or hit the ball on the ground here. Just bad decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802