Game Day Experience

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
With the exception of The Spring Games, I have been amazed at how little is done for the spectator's experience. Take into account I am not talking about Power Five schools. This past weekend's doubleheaders I took in; the only amenity I could see was a clean portapotty.

On the bright side there was no admission to these games but there was also no effort put in by the hosting institutions besides the game taking place. If athletics is the 'front porch' to your school the spectator's experience should be a priority for athletic directors and staff.

When you go to a game do you expect anything beyond being able to watch the game? A seat, a restroom, concessions, pa system, etc..

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Could not agree more! I've been saying this and trying to get some improvement in at least our own home games for 3 years now. It truly makes no sense considering the budgets that many of these schools have along with what would seem to an easy fix to have some students earn some extra credit (or?) for filming, videoing and announcing games (aren't they supposed to be fairly adept at social media skills?).

We were fortunate to have a couple parents at both Sat & Sunday's DH'ers this weekend...the video and sound from the hosting school was so bad we et up a FB Live feed. The view was better and the commentary was much better and entertaining.

PS. We won all 4 (3 by shut out and run rule). ;-)

Oct 1, 2014
USA
With the exception of The Spring Games, I have been amazed at how little is done for the spectator's experience. Take into account I am not talking about Power Five schools. This past weekend's doubleheaders I took in; the only amenity I could see was a clean portapotty.

On the bright side there was no admission to these games but there was also no effort put in by the hosting institutions besides the game taking place. If athletics is the 'front porch' to your school the spectator's experience should be a priority for athletic directors and staff.

When you go to a game do you expect anything beyond being able to watch the game? A seat, a restroom, concessions, pa system, etc..
And the funny thing is that some of these teams (and one of the schools you guys played this weekend) is everywhere posting on social media about their program...you'd think some of that would translate to the actual live event!

Feb 7, 2014
And the funny thing is that some of these teams (and one of the schools you guys played this weekend) is everywhere posting on social media about their program...you'd think some of that would translate to the actual live event!
Sunday's DH there had to be 200+ spectators... had I known I would have put up a stand sold a few hot dogs and pops - would have paid for the trip!

Dec 6, 2019

What is done at The Spring Games for spectators?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
What is done at The Spring Games for spectators?
Decent video & audio (at least for most of the games).

*Edited to add - the complexes we were at for The Spring Games (Legends & DiamondPlex) had good food at decent prices. Not sure about DiamondPlex but at Legends they had cold beer (even had Yuengling), again at decent prices.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You would think that somebody would want to monetize these events. Hot dogs, tacos plates, fruit bowls, soft drinks, Gatorade, beer, tee shirts, sweat shirts and how about a program. I was disappointed that the Judy Garman Tourney didn't have a program but at least they had everything else including over priced beer. Creating a program would have been a cool project for the student journalist.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23