Game called while ball in play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2019
This was another first for me...

We were playing a 10U pool game, 60 minutes/5 run limit per inning. Our team was home but was down by 7 runs going into the bottom of the inning. We had already scored 3 runs and the batter hit the ball into the outfield and was rounding second on her way to third when the field umpire threw his arms up and said something. No one could hear what he was saying. Fielders, runners, coaches and parents were all equally confused. When the coach asked the umpire why he stopped play, he said that time had expired. The coach said, "But the ball was still live," and questioned why he would call time in the middle of a play. He said he stopped play because he didn't want anyone to get hurt. 😲🙄

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
That is crazy, umpire is nuts. (Not all umpires just this one)

If they had an ounce of brain they would understanding stopping a play in the middle like that would provide more chance of injury then less.

Some players stop, some keep going. Not good.

Aug 25, 2019
This nonsense always make umpires look bad. When I'm keeping time in a game, and time expires in an at bat, if that at bat doesn't mean anything, I'll let the hitter finish her at bat.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD playing a meaningless college showcase and I was coaching 1B. DD was the last batter and got walked on a 3-2 count. Umpire called the game and I told the ump go ahead and let the pitcher throw one more pitch. DD K'd!

Jun 8, 2016
DD playing a meaningless college showcase and I was coaching 1B. DD was the last batter and got walked on a 3-2 count. Umpire called the game and I told the ump go ahead and let the pitcher throw one more pitch. DD K'd!
Nice job Dad... :p

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Incidents such as this tend to confirm my theory that we're in a sports officiating "death spiral".

Umpires get abused, so a portion of them leave, and some of those are the most experienced and effective. They are replaced not only by less experienced umpires, but morons who wouldn't get much work if anyone better was available. The number of stupid (not just bad) calls increase, making umpires as a group look progressively worse, which leads to more confrontations with pissed off coaches and parents, which leads to more good umpires leaving.

At some point, we reach a critical mass of umpire dumbassery where even the higher level tournaments have really bad officiating.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee