Full season practice plan/scope and sequence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2019
My educator is showing with this post title. :)

Has anyone here has attempted to do a full season, day by day, practice plan? I say this knowing that we always adjust, and that my team’s high school ball looks different than most.

But does anyone have a compressive season long “game plan” for practices they’re willing to share? High school, ~3 month season?

Oct 26, 2019
I get what you are asking for and the book I added in the picture had something like that for baseball. It talked about skills and plays that needed to be worked on daily, weekly, monthly with a sort of checklist. I have never seen anything like it for baseball.

realistically you are going to go into the season with one plan and then you are going to have to adjust as the games reveal strengths and weaknesses of your team. Any plan that anyone else shared with you may or may not fit the specific needs of your team.

Attachments

• E75FFF91-3E98-4A93-8DEC-4FDD3F48FE39.jpeg
    E75FFF91-3E98-4A93-8DEC-4FDD3F48FE39.jpeg
    551.2 KB · Views: 56
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
While I plan out all my practices, there are way too many variables for this. Too many days canceled, certain players not attending, this year's particular team needing a lot more/less practice in one area, etc. that would make the whole process something of a waste of time. Plus, I simply have no idea how many scheduled game days will turn into practice (likely in the gym) days ahead of time.

I do have all my practices plans saved though, and each year when planning I go back to that particular day in previous years and pull from that, adjusting for weather, specific team needs, etc.

As I think about this, I have something of a plan for the first two weeks. The specifics change, but I'm probably fairly consistent (new things always added as I learn and grow as a coach, but the focus is the same). Once games start, a lot of the practice planning is in reaction to the games.

Sep 17, 2009
It feels from your OP that you are doing more instructing than game-ready coaching with your high school team, which is unusual (especially at the varsity level) but not unheard of (especially if you are coaching a small school or a freshman team). I'd encourage you to think about your preseason especially like a clinic and not be afraid to start with instructing the basics of throwing, catching and running (hitting is a whole nother level of complexity). Get the (VERY) basics down as reference points for the rest of the season. Then you'll have to move on to more position- and situation-specific work, but you'll have a foundation to build on. If you've got a week or two that you can consider 'preseason' I'd build a plan for that. Once you start playing games, practices are more about keeping sharp and fixing problems and issues that will inevitably turn up. Good luck.

May 1, 2018
With what I remember of your team, I would for sure have a building plan. So that you can build one thing on top of another. Ie basic bunt coverage, then situational, then plays. ect.
My suggestion is scrimmage often and then take notes of what to work on while watching. I think you are more likely to find holes watching them play, then trying to plan where the holes are going to be and then trying to preemptively address them.
Keep us informed we are rooting for your success.

Nov 26, 2019
With what I remember of your team, I would for sure have a building plan. So that you can build one thing on top of another. Ie basic bunt coverage, then situational, then plays. ect.
My suggestion is scrimmage often and then take notes of what to work on while watching. I think you are more likely to find holes watching them play, then trying to plan where the holes are going to be and then trying to preemptively address them.
Keep us informed we are rooting for your success.
Thanks so much. With so many kids, and so little coaching staff available right now, one goal I have this season is to put way more emphasis upon building stations/structures that let them operate much more autonomously. E.g., to build in defensive dailies and t work that they understand the purpose of, and can help coach each other through. One Achilles heel I definitely have is trying to do it all. Doesn’t work. That, and as my friend said, we don’t always have to make practice fun/engaging. It’s practice…to get better. Appreciate the input.

Apr 13, 2015
always touch on situations...certain ones might not happen at all until playoff time or any big game.....prepare to beat the best teams on your schedule...good luck

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My educator is showing with this post title. :)

Has anyone here has attempted to do a full season, day by day, practice plan? I say this knowing that we always adjust, and that my team’s high school ball looks different than most.

But does anyone have a compressive season long “game plan” for practices they’re willing to share? High school, ~3 month season?
I searched all day yesterday to try to find some of my stuff. I am afraid I might have accidentally deleted it. I don't have a plan for the entire season and CoachJD made a great post as to the reasons. What I have done is created a list of things that have to be covered prior to the first game. That would include baserunning, situations both offense and defensive, practicing signals. my cutoff system, ... On my practice plans, I have a list of drills for hitting and defense. I make sure to think about which of those fit the needs of the team and then, the needs of certain individuals. Keep in mind that you also have to know your space inside and figure out a plan for inside. This fall, I coached in another state and that school didn't have anything available other than one cage and a very small room. So, I changed my scheme to fit that. We set up 3 stations inside the cage and 5 stations outside of the cage. I could keep 16-20 hitters relatively active.

Taylor, when you create your practice plans, keep them. I store mine by date. Then, I can reference them the next year. Also, it helps me to have a diagram of our field and facilities on my practice plan. In that way, I can think through the progression of practice. Finally, small things like where electrical outlets are is important to practice. At the school I just coached at, we had one outlet. I brought 3 machines. LOL I wanted to be able to have a player shoot balls to the OF in between my pitches to hitters on the field. At the same time, I had the cages going. So much for that planning. I hope some of this helps a little.

I forgot to mention that when we are getting ready for the state tournament, I use that pre-season checklist and go over much of that stuff again. It is a good way to refresh players' memories and to have efficient practices leading up to the state series.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28