Front foot - up on toe?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 1, 2021
Another hopefully not so dumb question from a 10u dad.

I noticed some of the better hitting players on her team have their front stride foot raised up on the toe(s) in their stance. Not something I was ever taught in little league decades ago. Obviously flat footed is the wrong answer but is this something to reinforce a light toe tap on the stride? Just be more dynamic and athletic in the box? TIA

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2019
Good question! My granddaughter does this and I'm not sure if it's correct or not, but I wonder if it assists in keeping weight back when loading? Also, I have seen major league hitters do this too and barely stride at all, just setting that lead foot down and swinging.

Aug 20, 2017
It’s just shifting the weight rearward in the stance. Most likely used to try to prevent players from lunging. Not many absolutes when it comes to stance. Based on how the hitter swings, there could be some stance adjustments made but it’s usually a band aid.

Oct 26, 2019
I’m not a big fan of the front heel up in the stance because it usually is a sign that the weight is too far back. If the weight can stay 50/50 with the front heel up then it’s personal preference.

Dec 1, 2021
Thanks for the replies. I can see it both as a bandaid but also as a maybe simpler forcing mechanism and step in the right direction to stopping lunging, at least in the younger batters.

Oct 19, 2017
Thanks for the replies. I can see it both as a bandaid but also as a maybe simpler forcing mechanism and step in the right direction to stopping lunging, at least in the younger batters.

My 10U DD has a long stride and a tendency to lunge. We recently started working on this and I am surprised how well it worked for her.

Attachments

• GMP_U2F2ZUdIMDE=.gif
    GMP_U2F2ZUdIMDE=.gif
    15.8 MB · Views: 46
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Another hopefully not so dumb question from a 10u dad.

I noticed some of the better hitting players on her team have their front stride foot raised up on the toe(s) in their stance. Not something I was ever taught in little league decades ago. Obviously flat footed is the wrong answer but is this something to reinforce a light toe tap on the stride? Just be more dynamic and athletic in the box? TIA

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapata

There are some benefits to starting 40/60 theoretically. But there are also potential issues. If the walking pattern can’t be followed when moving out compensations will follow eventually. Usually a late shift thus creating different accumulators to create force which is never good.

Not to knock @JaySpeediii dd, but she loses her stretch before foot down so in return losing speed, power and adjustability.

Oct 19, 2017
There are some benefits to starting 40/60 theoretically. But there are also potential issues. If the walking pattern can’t be followed when moving out compensations will follow eventually. Usually a late shift thus creating different accumulators to create force which is never good.

Not to knock @JaySpeediii dd, but she loses her stretch before foot down so in return losing speed, power and adjustability.

Not a knock. I agree about losing the stretch. In my DD’s case, it’s something she does with and without stride. To be honest, I simply forgot about it, so it serves as a reminder to spend more time on it.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1. The rear hip must be in front of (toward the pitcher) the back foot. [so when you lift up the front foot for the stride, you will fall forward (toward the pitcher), not backward, or hovering]
2. When you land at toe touch, the front knee MUST be bent. [generally to start the stride, you pick the front knee straight up, vs hiking up the front hip like a dog peeing on a bush]

So, the position of the front foot in the stance makes no difference.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I’ve spoke about a big front hip before. It’s just the natural walking pattern we use everyday. Some players start 40/60 but go forward to get back and walk. Extra moves but it does work. The most efficient way is starting at 55/45 or so and telling a player to get back while walking to do so. This will get a bigger front hip(shift weight) while helping the hands get back. Some hand activation is best imo.

Pujols rocks forward then prepares to ‘walk’ which put his weight in the center or behind him to do what the ball says he needs to do. Folks see a shift back but the front hip getting ‘big’ says otherwise. This is why I never advocate for back hip coil or back hip anything. That is stuck city and everything is a struggle to get back to an attacking posture thereafter. Many compensations ensue.

1684339969042.gif

1684340347763.gif

Jr. Showing a very similar rock forward then he gets back. The problem w the best players is their pivot (weight shift) is so good that they can start from different positions (not 55/45) and get the weight where and when they need to. But Jr. and Pujols are very consistent. As is Miggy.

Coaches will say to do this really early(major no no) but wo knowledge of what the goal is.. which is early leverage or turning into their weight shift. Players get stuck and collapse the backside or drop the hands, early extend(side bend) or cast or dump the barrel. All of the above sometimes.

The rib cage needs to stay on top of the pelvis during the stride rotating away from the hips (front) w a front leg that is ready to do anything (get down, reach, delay, toe touch etc.). Things start to sync from there.

55/45 is a great way to learn/feel what a proper pivot is and when it occurs. It forces a player to walk out instead of sway, get stuck, or over rotate the load. Timing, ball striking and power can all be optimized once a good body pivot is mastered. I recommend to learn as late as possible in the sequence which will usually be at the pitchers high noon arm position for most. Some a bit earlier/later. After the feel is mastered a player can add their style.

1684341680353.gif

Watch Trout, it’s subtle but there. Wiggles around some.. Weights the frontside then starts his sequence. The best hitters all do it. Some just w different styles. It’s the key to timing multiple pitches while staying on the heater. Without any compensations.

Last edited: