Front foot during stride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015

The above video is cool for several reasons:
1. Watching a 47YO swing like a 30-35YO
2. Around 1:20, he checks outside onto the field - “do they need me out there yet? No? Good - I can get a few more swings in.”
3. Great examples of Yes, Yes, No with multiple takes during the session.
3. My question - around :20+ they switch to the side view. Do any other players pick there toes up that high during their stride? I never noticed it before. If you don’t want to click the link - it looks like he’s pulling his toes up above his heel with his stride foot.

Any advantage to that move? Is this a personal style? East vs West style? Camera angle illusion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
I just wanted to say his 262 hits in 2004 is ridiculous...With the shifts they play now that may never be matched again.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Ichiro was primarily a slap hitter. The front foot action may be unique to him. The thing I noticed about him is his right hip moving to 1st base early in the swing and the bunt.

Reactions: TDS
Nov 18, 2015
I’ve always been a fan of him, but never got to see him play much. He seemed to be the type of hitter who could put the ball wherever he wanted. Would a shift really work against him?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Interestingly since he played for my team and I watched him all the time. He was intentionally walked all the time late in the game and with runners in scoring position.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017

The above video is cool for several reasons:
1. Watching a 47YO swing like a 30-35YO
2. Around 1:20, he checks outside onto the field - “do they need me out there yet? No? Good - I can get a few more swings in.”
3. Great examples of Yes, Yes, No with multiple takes during the session.
3. My question - around :20+ they switch to the side view. Do any other players pick there toes up that high during their stride? I never noticed it before. If you don’t want to click the link - it looks like he’s pulling his toes up above his heel with his stride foot.

Any advantage to that move? Is this a personal style? East vs West style? Camera angle illusion?

Sprinters do that, maybe he knows it will help his first step out of the box? Called dorsiflexion I believe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45