Friendly R1 or interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
So, last night (12u friendly), our R1 steals second - on the tag the ball pops out and lands on her chest. As she's lying down, feet on the bag, she picks the ball up and hands it to SS, who casually takes it and throws it back to pitcher.

There was no call, and in this situation, I think appropriate - no play was being made, so though the ball was live, there wouldn't necessarily be interference.

What if, there was a runner on third in this scenario, who attempted to score? Runner who stole second hands ball to SS who throws home to attempt a play on the runner from third. What would your call be then?

May 23, 2015
Sounds like a great girl who is nice. Tell her to not be so nice unless time is called. I would ASSUME you would have grounds for interference

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Call her out for assistance?
An even more unlikely scenario: pop-up to 2nd base, ss misjudges it and it goes over her head. Daydreaming R1 standing on second suddenly comes back to reality and reacts by catching it and handing it to ss. I don't see how you can call interference there either.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I had a similar one...
Runner on 3rd, a passed ball spun along the fence toward the on deck circle. The runner was on the way home and my on deck batter picked it up and handed it to the catcher who was chasing it. The umpire called the runner out for interference by the on deck batter. It sucked because there was no way the catcher was ever going to make a play on it.

Jun 11, 2013
It's just a good thing to teach the offense to always not tough the ball on purpose. Just stay away from it.

Oct 11, 2018
I had a similar one...
Runner on 3rd, a passed ball spun along the fence toward the on deck circle. The runner was on the way home and my on deck batter picked it up and handed it to the catcher who was chasing it. The umpire called the runner out for interference by the on deck batter. It sucked because there was no way the catcher was ever going to make a play on it.
If it was obvious that there was no out to be had, umpire should have ruled dead ball and put the runner back to base last touched.
But umpire judgement as to there being potential for out or not. (USA rules 8.5.G)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802