Freshman Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Can she handle off-speed without shifting to the lead leg first ? IOW's can she get into a leveraged fyb position before swing launch on the off-speed.
She keeps her hands back nicely, IMO. She does OK against the change up. Normally doesn't swing at them unless there is 2 strikes. Usually pulls them foul and gets another pitch. Doesn't see a whole lot of CUs. I think pitchers/coaches save the CU for the bigger girls. Probably not very smart but that's what I notice.
What a I noticed and don't like so much is that her head continues to move/slide toward pitcher after her heel is down. The netting of the cage makes it easy to see.

Reactions: TDS
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
dfp-2023-0117.gif

The stride/coil is not too bad.

However at toe touch, the bat head is flat (orange), should be abt 55 deg (green)

The front leg is too straight (dk orange/red), so her body must lunge forward to get it bent.(this also slightly delays her ability to begin to straighten the front leg, which is why she must hit the ball very slightly too far forward)

So, 2 easy fixes to toe touch:
1. bat head up 55 deg
2. land on a very bent front leg

Do dry strides to fix - no ball. Do them every day for the rest of her career. The stride is 90% of the swing.

Everything else is very good

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
You have any other swings? Kind of looks like she was adjusting to something which came in slower than she expected. Was this at the beginning of her BP?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
She keeps her hands back nicely, IMO. She does OK against the change up. Normally doesn't swing at them unless there is 2 strikes. Usually pulls them foul and gets another pitch. Doesn't see a whole lot of CUs. I think pitchers/coaches save the CU for the bigger girls. Probably not very smart but that's what I notice.
What a I noticed and don't like so much is that her head continues to move/slide toward pitcher after her heel is down. The netting of the cage makes it easy to see.
Yea, in the end its all about dynamic balance. If she can move out correctly she won't be penalized for being a little early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog