Free Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Suggestions on how to fix this. I might know someone with a similar problem.

posture must be right. Flat lower back.
learning to turn off the legs is one way. No pushing or turning. Usually caused by a sway.
Loading the hips later helps as well. By staying square.

1623333580924.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
1623609182110.gif

during ‘free’ hands which starts at Frame 1 the hands are seeking their plane to attack from. Everything else should take a back seat to that. Not being able to adjust that so one can launch their swing from behind their shoulder makes little sense to me. What is the advantage? Getting your front foot down later? Why is that an advantage? launching your swing deeper? So the ball can travel 2 ft farther? How much reaction time is gained? How much is actually lost? That is the riveting question that needs to be answered.

We can see Jennings has her foot down early to get to that up and in location quickly. Only made possible bc the hands already set their destination. She doesn’t need to create acceleration. it’s already been installed by her free hands.

waking away from the hands can be over baked. usually it’s a dad seeking more power. Go figure. but this enables free hands.. it lets the eyes tell the hands when to go or delay. I prefer to say let the hands be free during the gather phase. Let them wander or roam to where they need, to complete the task. Hitting not HRs Is the goal.

if a hitter keeps them at the shoulder or anywhere through out, I would understand why a cast or forced tilt is necessary to create force. if you try to load the barrel from a static position it will cause a push on some swings and a dump on others. or active rotation. Usually when a hitter is rushed. or the timing is off.

i like to see hitters hands ‘free’ early so they can create the swing they need for whatever pitch location/timing is necessary. most of the time it needs to be taught. Hands only tee drills are great for that. Bat waggles and bat tips work great also. Or just plainly gathering the swing w the hands works also If the goal is known. Get on top and be direct. Very important. And very misunderstood.

Jun 8, 2016
View attachment 22535

We can see Jennings has her foot down early to get to that up and in location quickly. Only made possible bc the hands already set their destination. She doesn’t need to create acceleration. it’s already been installed by her free hands.
You have any other swings of Jennings for different pitch locations?

In case you were wondering, I did run this question by @mydogeaston first to make sure he was ok with it...

Aug 1, 2019
You have any other swings of Jennings for different pitch locations?

In case you were wondering, I did run this question by @mydogeaston first to make sure he was ok with it...
Yet another lie.....thinking you might have the problem with the sauce.....and it is Sunday afternoon. Just sad. Get help bro!

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
so he advocates for an ‘oppo’ approach right? I agree. But if the hpp is glued to the shoulder and he only adjusts the knob and tilt which are the same thing imo. how does one get to an inside pitch out front and make the arc shorter when adjusting? I don’t think it’s doable. It’s hit foul or the hitter gets jammed.

The one legged rear lateral tilt and leg turn is tighter than the two legged shoulder rotating swing out front. One legged , the hands are at the shoulder the barrel is launched from the rear shoulder is behind the hip giving more space to work with. After launch the hands are free to move. it‘s an unconscious non teach because it will get over baked.

The leg snap before the hip turn is also an advantage in keeping the front shoulder from rotating and pulling the barrel circular and off the path of the ball.

The intent is to hit oppo but not always going to be able to depending on the pitch.

Without ‘free’ hands getting to inside heat is a crap shoot. Or a guess for the most part. Is that the approach, guess inside? Open up early? Abandon the oppo approach?

I don’t believe in ‘power‘ mechanics. Thats a flawed approach imo. mechanics are for efficiency. power is relative to the player. And their ability to create force in short windows.

thats the problem when teaching a kid to achieve more power. IT ALWAYS COMES WITH A PRICE OF EFFICIENCY. ALWAYS.

Edit: softball girls don’t need power. Do you see a lot of fly outs at the warning track? Or do you see girls rollover, pop up, get jammed and hit flares more often? Girls need efficiency.
Totally agree with being as efficient as possible.

When a girl ‘squares’ it. It’s gone. Their reaction times rival baseball and sometimes exceeds them.
I totally agree that Launch quickness is vey important as well.
And without the same amount of mass/muscle to create force, teaching girls to be ‘stronger’( in their swing) is the wrong way to go about it. Especially with their upper body.

A stronger athlete is always going to out do a weaker one , all things being equal IMO.
Alway great question W and comments. I see the value in free hands and believe a lot of it is done by the better hitters. I’m just trying to improve some high school girls with the hope of getting in to college. Some of my girls are small and undersized. How else am I going to get them noticed…….

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The one legged rear lateral tilt and leg turn is tighter than the two legged shoulder rotating swing out front. One legged , the hands are at the shoulder the barrel is launched from the rear shoulder is behind the hip giving more space to work with. After launch the hands are free to move. it‘s an unconscious non teach because it will get over baked

Mike, who is talking about shoulder rotating swing ? Are you using Rich's definition of 2 legged hitting (weight shifting across the pelvis to the lead leg) ? The core pattern doesn't compromise the rear leg/hip relationship while getting fyb.

U4wNmhw.png

0trijCT.gif

k4xI3PF.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
View attachment 22535

during ‘free’ hands which starts at Frame 1 the hands are seeking their plane to attack from. Everything else should take a back seat to that. Not being able to adjust that so one can launch their swing from behind their shoulder makes little sense to me. What is the advantage? Getting your front foot down later? Why is that an advantage? launching your swing deeper? So the ball can travel 2 ft farther? How much reaction time is gained? How much is actually lost? That is the riveting question that needs to be answered.

Are you saying the hands set their path first and then you swing? I’ll answer your questions, just need to know how you see it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
so he advocates for an ‘oppo’ approach right? I agree. But if the hpp is glued to the shoulder and he only adjusts the knob and tilt which are the same thing imo. how does one get to an inside pitch out front and make the arc shorter when adjusting? I don’t think it’s doable. It’s hit foul or the hitter gets jammed.

The one legged rear lateral tilt and leg turn is tighter than the two legged shoulder rotating swing out front. One legged , the hands are at the shoulder the barrel is launched from the rear shoulder is behind the hip giving more space to work with. After launch the hands are free to move. it‘s an unconscious non teach because it will get over baked.

The leg snap before the hip turn is also an advantage in keeping the front shoulder from rotating and pulling the barrel circular and off the path of the ball.

The intent is to hit oppo but not always going to be able to depending on the pitch.

Without ‘free’ hands getting to inside heat is a crap shoot. Or a guess for the most part. Is that the approach, guess inside? Open up early? Abandon the oppo approach?

I don’t believe in ‘power‘ mechanics. Thats a flawed approach imo. mechanics are for efficiency. power is relative to the player. And their ability to create force in short windows.

thats the problem when teaching a kid to achieve more power. IT ALWAYS COMES WITH A PRICE OF EFFICIENCY. ALWAYS.

Edit: softball girls don’t need power. Do you see a lot of fly outs at the warning track? Or do you see girls rollover, pop up, get jammed and hit flares more often? Girls need efficiency.
Totally agree with being as efficient as possible.

When a girl ‘squares’ it. It’s gone. Their reaction times rival baseball and sometimes exceeds them.
I totally agree that Launch quickness is vey important as well.
And without the same amount of mass/muscle to create force, teaching girls to be ‘stronger’( in their swing) is the wrong way to go about it. Especially with their upper body.

A stronger athlete is always going to out do a weaker one , all things being equal IMO.
Alway great question W and comments. I see the value in free hands and believe a lot of it is done by the better hitters. I’m just trying to improve some high school girls with the hope of getting in to college. Some of my girls are small and undersized. How else am I going to get them noticed…….

the pivot point is in the hands not the shoulders. Not sure about your definition of 2 legged.

as far as launch then direct the barrel. that was debated years ago. once the barrel is launched, there is no adjusting. that happens on outside pitches. When it calls for a deeper contact point. Not inside pitches. So once again how do you adjust to inside pitches?off speed? Rotate? Let it get deep and get jammed? Swing from underneath?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802