Free Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Biggest take away for me was Gary not letting the pitcher beat him to his spot.

as that goes, should the hands be ‘back’ on time w the foot down early or at his ‘spot’ like you say or does it matter? Bc I saw his foot down on time before but his load wasn’t complete. Or do they work hand in hand?

i see it as creating the stretch earlier which enables him to get the foot down early for FB and adjust when needed. The hands being more active in the load process to complete the task on time.

Oct 2, 2017
as that goes, should the hands be ‘back’ on time w the foot down early or at his ‘spot’ like you say or does it matter? Bc I saw his foot down on time before but his load wasn’t complete. Or do they work hand in hand?

i see it as creating the stretch earlier which enables him to get the foot down early for FB and adjust when needed. The hands being more active in the load process to complete the task on time.
I feel that in a completely ideal situation with no timing and pitch recognition variables for example a tee. I would think they would coincide max stretch and foot down. Both things happening basically in simultaneously.

That being said I do lean more that there is a variable that occures in which the hands can still be loading/stretching against the lower half. Even when foot is down on time.

I feel we also must take into account that every pitch is not the same speed. Even FB may vary 2-3 mph which can make a difference. Also is the hitter ahead I the count or behind. Are they trying for the fences etc. Canmakea big difference in the loading.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I feel that in a completely ideal situation with no timing and pitch recognition variables for example a tee. I would think they would coincide max stretch and foot down. Both things happening basically in simultaneously.

That being said I do lean more that there is a variable that occures in which the hands can still be loading/stretching against the lower half. Even when foot is down on time.

I feel we also must take into account that every pitch is not the same speed. Even FB may vary 2-3 mph which can make a difference. Also is the hitter ahead I the count or behind. Are they trying for the fences etc. Canmakea big difference in the loading.

I see what you’re saying, but I don’t think you should stretch more w the upper. it should be ‘ready‘ to launch earlier than later. Just delay the middle if needed. Loading for FB adjust to OS so to speak. I think that’s what Sanchezs problem was. The sway made it impossible for him bc there was never a sure point to stretch from consistently. So he used his move out to stretch from instead of his body to stretch from.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Gary has changed the arm action. Very few move the entire back arm like Gary was doing. Some move the hands while the elbow and upper arm stays stable. He was moving everything, hard to time.

Jun 8, 2016
Change that to pinch the scap and recruit the back. Then I would agree.
To me the word pinch is too static. There is certainly a need to use the upper back but to me it looks to be more dynamic. Look at the McCutchen clip in post # 341. That said there are some guys who do pinch a bit and then dynamically load it more when launching, e.g. somebody like Trout.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee