For the Love of Gaia, Please Stop Teaching Screwballs to 10 Year Olds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
And all these so called pitchers, all have one thing in common as you mentioned, cannot spot a fastball. And when they pitch you hear the umpire say “ball” a lot more than “strike”…….just each control at young ages, the speed will come along. Not to mention, they will get a lot more outs spotting the ball than trying to blow it by the batters…

May 29, 2015
Youth pitchers only need to learn one pitch to start: a strike.

Master that, then you can move on.

You can claim your daughter has 16 pitches in your arsenal, but when none of them can find the plate you are just talking out of your arse and all.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The step to the glove side, angled in, gyro ball can be a very effective pitch. I agree nothing happens after the ball leave the hand so stop those stupid hitchhiker finishes. And yes, it doesn't really curve but you can make it drop a little or rise a little ( I know it doesn't really rise).

Jun 8, 2016
I guess recent studies have shown that a PROPERLY thrown curveball in baseball doesn’t cause more stress on the arm than a fastball. The problem is young kids have a difficult time throwing it properly…

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I guess recent studies have shown that a PROPERLY thrown curveball in baseball doesn’t cause more stress on the arm than a fastball. The problem is young kids have a difficult time throwing it properly…

I'm guessing that the takeaway from the studies isn't "wow, curveballs aren't bad on the arm" but "pitching a baseball wreaks havoc on a person's arm no matter what they're pitching."

Jun 8, 2016
I'm guessing that the takeaway from the studies isn't "wow, curveballs aren't bad on the arm" but "pitching a baseball wreaks havoc on a person's arm no matter what they're pitching."
They just looked at the differences in forces/torques generated between curves and fastballs and when thrown properly there was none. Of course zero induced force/moments is better than non-zero for your arm 😂

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My biggest issue with the screwball is that the pitcher tips it to the batter every single time they throw it. They all look like they're falling off to their right, which to me is a dead giveaway that an inside pitch, or outside to a lefty, is on its way.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My biggest issue with the screwball is that the pitcher tips it to the batter every single time they throw it. They all look like they're falling off to their right, which to me is a dead giveaway that an inside pitch, or outside to a lefty, is on its way.
You would think it would be a dead giveaway but it is still an effective pitch. Hitters with long arms have a hard time hitting the screwball. All they can do is foul it off. Hitters with short arms and short swings can hit it a long way

Jun 8, 2016
You would think it would be a dead giveaway but it is still an effective pitch. Hitters with long arms have a hard time hitting the screwball. All they can do is foul it off. Hitters with short arms and short swings can hit it a long way
Yes inside fastballs have been an effective pitch for a long time..especially if you can bring it 😉

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2