Florida gets info on menstrual cycle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2020
putting this stuff into a database, which is really creepy.
The company claims it keeps student data confidential and will not sell it to other third parties, but because Aktivate is not a medical care provider it is not restricted by HIPPA privacy laws and would therefore be required to turn over data to the authorities if subpoenaed.

Its privacy policy also says that it may share student data 'to work with third parties who conduct studies or assist us in providing and improving our products... and with affiliated education companies'."
Student data answers can lead to more questions. The private policy includes sharing data with third parties conducting studies is without a doubt creepy to have a database that can hold a person's actions over their head for abortion law prosecution. Would like to hear anyone's debate on why they would want their daughter to participate in such a questionnaire particularly that it is not from a medical provider. That it is not a medical provider makes it creepy.

May 17, 2012
Would like to hear anyone's debate on why they would want their daughter to participate in such a questionnaire particularly that it is not from a medical provider.

Participating and giving truthful answers are two different things. Every website you register for wants to know your birthdate. You are under no obligation to provide your actual birthday.

I have had conversations with my kids about when to give out their accurate information and when to make up random answers. I assume every time I give out PHI someone is selling it to someone else.

Oct 10, 2018
Maybe not for school monitoring, but since progesterone relaxes ligaments, tendons, and joints it might be a worthwhile study to determine if female athletes who menstruate are having higher levels of ACL (and other soft tissue injuries) during that portion of their cycle so they can better protect themselves. DD always gets a better stretch at 1st during that time but often walks away with a little twinge at the end of the day.

Aug 9, 2021
Maybe not for school monitoring, but since progesterone relaxes ligaments, tendons, and joints it might be a worthwhile study to determine if female athletes who menstruate are having higher levels of ACL (and other soft tissue injuries) during that portion of their cycle so they can better protect themselves. DD always gets a better stretch at 1st during that time but often walks away with a little twinge at the end of the day.
I read the title and was hoping that someone had linked to some new research on cycles and athletic performance and injury prevention.

May 29, 2015
I felt the "being used for anti-abortion laws" was a tad political. I'm not being a prude. I just don't want Facebook 2.0.

I acknowledged I may be walking a line, and if the mods feel that needs to be deleted because it is too political, then delete it. I won't be offended. I do think this is important for those who are considering where their daughter is going to leave the "sanctuary of home" and go to.

I am biased. I have two daughters who were student athletes in college. One of them was raped while away at school. She did have an abortion stemming from this (we learned this much later). I am sorry if that offends you, but as a parent you need to know the realities of the situations you are sending your daughter into. It was a horrifying enough experience without having to worry if she would now be persecuted and prosecuted by the government of the state when her rapist was not.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I acknowledged I may be walking a line, and if the mods feel that needs to be deleted because it is too political, then delete it. I won't be offended. I do think this is important for those who are considering where their daughter is going to leave the "sanctuary of home" and go to.

I am biased. I have two daughters who were student athletes in college. One of them was raped while away at school. She did have an abortion stemming from this (we learned this much later). I am sorry if that offends you, but as a parent you need to know the realities of the situations you are sending your daughter into. It was a horrifying enough experience without having to worry if she would now be persecuted and prosecuted by the government of the state when her rapist was not.
I'm not offended at all, and I'm sorry for what you're daughter went through. It must be a horrifying experience. In fact, my opinion on the matter may or may not align with yours, but I won't share it in this forum.

That being said, I don't want to know your politics, but your post makes it clear where you stand. For me, this forum is about softball, not politics. We get beaten over the head with that enough in our every day lives. I don't need, nor want it here. If it continues, I'll sadly depart.

May 29, 2015
I'm not offended at all, and I'm sorry for what you're daughter went through. It must be a horrifying experience. In fact, my opinion on the matter may or may not align with yours, but I won't share it in this forum.

That being said, I don't want to know your politics, but your post makes it clear where you stand. For me, this forum is about softball, not politics. We get beaten over the head with that enough in our every day lives. I don't need, nor want it here. If it continues, I'll sadly depart.

I can see how you might feel that way. I don't agree that is a projection of my politics though. I see it as a statement on the reality that parents need to be aware of in states that are outlawing issues in women's healthcare. I didn't pass the law (and I don't think I commented on it); I'm pointing out the effects of politics that have injected themselves into women's sports. When a large portion of this forum revolves around sending our daughters to college, we should be just as aware of what we are sending them to as we are about the legalities of her pitching motions.

(I edited this a few times before posting to try to ensure my political stance is not projected. I hope I am successful.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812