Fixing leaning over 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2019
My daughter has improved a ton, but I notice she is leaning over on the release instead of being stacked. Any tips for getting good posture while finishing? Trying to just work one thing at a time.

A few weeks ago she pitched one inning cold turkey, getting in the circle for the first time really lit her up to start practicing. We are hoping she will get another chance to pitch this weekend.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
What happened at that 45 second mark? You have got to go down and get that pitch!!!!! No loafing when you are behind the plate! I've seen worse leaning at 14U.

Jun 14, 2019
What happened at that 45 second mark? You have got to go down and get that pitch!!!!! No loafing when you are behind the plate! I've seen worse leaning at 14U.
Lolol...that is her grandma. I'm safely behind the camera. I'll let her know she needs to step it up if she wants to keep catching. 😂

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I would work on her stride length and making sure that she is not striding 'open'. Right now that short stride let's her land in a very upright posture instead of having a little backwards tilt. To my mind not staying stacked has more to do with hunching over or monkey butt. I can't tell from the video but she could also be striding open (to the 3rd base side of the power line) which can promote the way she finishes. I would mark a spot on the ground for her to land her foot rather than just telling her what you want her to do.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Probably the best drill to prevent leaning forward are walk-throughs while keeping the push-off foot off the ground after release.

She stands behind the rubber, and takes three steps and then throws. After she releases, she is to keep her left foot off the ground until the ball is returned to her by the catcher.

If she leans forward at release, she will fall forward. A good pitcher can stand on the stride foot while the push off foot is off the ground forever.

Here is a video about walk-throughs:

Another drill is the "three pump" drill.

She gets open, and does three rotations before she throws. At the "release point" for each rotation she taps her right toe on the ground. On the third rotation, she throws.

Because she brings her shoulders forward, she will look like a reciprocating saw the first few times she does the drill. She'll learn to simply stay back and tap her toe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478