First year 16u premier

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 27, 2019
So my oldest has been selected for her org's 16u premier team. I understand that the purpose of this premier /showcase team is exposure but DD has been 2nd base for years and is now being primarily used at 3rd. She is admittedly not as good at third as she is at second and I believe she is being moved because she is the best option of the players they have. My concern being, If she isn't playing her primary role because she is filling the hole at 3rd. Should I expect coach to move her to 2nd on a game day she may be being looked at? Not sure of protocol since its "showcase".

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hitting, hitting and more hitting. It will sort itself out.

DD got slotted at 2nd, annoyed her. She just happened to be good at it.

I thought she was better at 3rd, no fear which your DD must have.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
You have a better chance at being showcased at 3rd than 2B. When you get to college and realize that 75% of the players are SS, P and C, someone is gonna have to play 2B. My DD played C, 3rd, 1B and SS this past year. Coaches are looking for athletes that can adapt. Consider it a compliment if the TB coach has at 3B.

Feb 27, 2019
My approach has been to tell her that she needs to be an athlete and play where she is needed. I believe she has the skills to handle it she just needs to get used to the ball coming in a little hotter than they do at 2nd. It's my own anxiety that she's not being "showcased" at her best position.

Oct 4, 2018
I've always considered the right side of the defense to be easier and more people can play it. And that's with my DD being a 1B (when she's not pitching). I think it's a compliment that she was moved to 3B. Of course there are great 2B in the world, but great 3B get more props (from me, at least).

May 7, 2015
SoCal
So my oldest has been selected for her org's 16u premier team. I understand that the purpose of this premier /showcase team is exposure but DD has been 2nd base for years and is now being primarily used at 3rd. She is admittedly not as good at third as she is at second and I believe she is being moved because she is the best option of the players they have. My concern being, If she isn't playing her primary role because she is filling the hole at 3rd. Should I expect coach to move her to 2nd on a game day she may be being looked at? Not sure of protocol since its "showcase".

Hmm... In my observation, premiere usually means "win". Are you sure that this is a showcase team? I'm only asking because to me and around here (so cal) there is a difference. The showcase teams are developmental and absolutely "showcase" their players in their spots.

If it is a showcase team, abosolutely have your DD ask to play her desired position when getting looked at. If its a "win" team, I wouldn't bother asking, the coach will always do what is best for the team to perform. Just my $0.015

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My approach has been to tell her that she needs to be an athlete and play where she is needed. I believe she has the skills to handle it she just needs to get used to the ball coming in a little hotter than they do at 2nd. It's my own anxiety that she's not being "showcased" at her best position.

Hit her more balls at 3B. Make it her best position. A good 3B is arguably more valuable. Oh, and as others have mentioned...hitting is most important. If she can hit well enough, schools won't care how well she plays defense.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021
I see a lot of good advice here. From a development standpoint, if you have high-level experience in a middle infield position and as a corner, you are proving you can play any infield position. I would take the education and experience as a positive even if ultimately you feel she is better elsewhere.

Also, fielding mistakes are far from rare. Coaches want to see your athleticism and your ability to handle adversity from those mistakes. Players that can do that are already close to 'battle-ready' players. Being a little green in the nuances of a certain position is nothing to worry about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802