First week of college practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Kind of a parallel idea- my DD’s oft quoted, (by me any way), 10u coach used to say something to the effect of “In a few years they will have a drivers license and will be able to make choices. If it isn’t any fun, they won’t choose softball…”

May 20, 2015
DD is having a good start......fairly high academic D3, poli sci/pre law track........she LIKES the early morning lift, she likes the routine of practice, etc (its what she's used to) and seems to be managing the time well so far.......her teammates basically said "we don't party, some teams do, we don't" which fits right in with her mentality........the boyfriend visited once, which is fine, but she seems to be managing that well, too

she's felt overwhelmed AT practice, and then agreed that was a normal part of the practice, learning the routines, etc, and that coaches overwhelm everyone a bit at the beginning, because that is part of the build

so it's early for her......but nothing but positives so far, it's the lifestyle she already knows, and she made the right choice for her school wise, program wise, coach wise........

May 20, 2015
Went and saw the kid for dinner last night, DD2 had a couple of fall ball games 45 min from Boston

She's loving everything....the early AM lifts (still lifting with the upper classmen), she loves her coaches, her captains, her teammates.....everyone seems to be working hard and buying in (huge first year class helps).....she's getting a lot of positive attention from the staff, thinks she has a real shot to start on the left side of the INF, likely SS, headed into fall games next monday

loves classes, loves the city.....I can already see a more confident, independent kid, and so could her little sister

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Went and saw the kid for dinner last night, DD2 had a couple of fall ball games 45 min from Boston

She's loving everything....the early AM lifts (still lifting with the upper classmen), she loves her coaches, her captains, her teammates.....everyone seems to be working hard and buying in (huge first year class helps).....she's getting a lot of positive attention from the staff, thinks she has a real shot to start on the left side of the INF, likely SS, headed into fall games next monday

loves classes, loves the city.....I can already see a more confident, independent kid, and so could her little sister
What do you mean by fall games on Monday? D3 is only allowed 21 innings and from my experience they usually play on one day on Saturday. Some do 3-7 inning games, and DD's team does 2-10 inning games. DD's team is going to play Paris Juco.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying?

May 20, 2015
What do you mean by fall games on Monday? D3 is only allowed 21 innings and from my experience they usually play on one day on Saturday. Some do 3-7 inning games, and DD's team does 2-10 inning games. DD's team is going to play Paris Juco.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying?

next monday is indigenous people's day......they play a 3-game play day that day

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
next monday is indigenous people's day......they play a 3-game play day that day
lol!!!

I have often wondered why they make the D3 teams play so much in one day? Why not spread it out over two weekends? If you are slim on pitching, it makes for a long day.

DD's freshman year they played on very hot(93 degree) October day vs Juco and then a D1 (UT-Arlington). Since they only 18 rostered players she played 19 out 20 innings. 13 innings at Catcher. 6 at 3rd. She hated that day. Last year she played the first 6 innings and sat the remaining 14 innings. She hated that too!

May 20, 2015
lol!!!

I have often wondered why they make the D3 teams play so much in one day? Why not spread it out over two weekends? If you are slim on pitching, it makes for a long day.

DD's freshman year they played on very hot(93 degree) October day vs Juco and then a D1 (UT-Arlington). Since they only 18 rostered players she played 19 out 20 innings. 13 innings at Catcher. 6 at 3rd. She hated that day. Last year she played the first 6 innings and sat the remaining 14 innings. She hated that too!

gotta come down to scheduling, $$, and contact hours.....i know DDs team cancelled Monday practice this week so they could go to a corn maze/apple picking team event yesterday......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood