First Start = First Win

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
I posted a couple of weeks ago about my DD making the Varsity team as a Freshman. I know that this isn't too uncommon but for us we definitely didn't expect it. I told my DD not to keep her expectations low so that any playing time she receives will be appreciated and earned. Last week we played a scrimmage game against another High School and she got the call at the top of the 3rd with the score 2-0. She pitched 3-7 innings and kept the damage under control but the bats were cold and her team fell to a 3-1 loss. She recorded 6K, 1BB, 1ER in 5 innings. Not bad.

Yesterday she got her first start in a tournament in our opening pool play game in Columbia, TN. She pitched a complete game in her first High School start. 7K, 2BB, 1ER in 7 innings and her team won 3-2. She has earned the respect of the seniors on her team and that means a ton for my DD. She is/was extremely nervous about playing on Varsity because there are 8 seniors on the team and they have played together for the last 4 years. Seeing the smile on her face almost makes up for all the bruises on my shins from being a bucket dad for the past 7 years.

Today we play 1 more pool play game and then the elimination tournament starts. Hoping for another good day but our team has been riddled with injuries early this season. 2 more injured players yesterday..... Ugh.

Nov 14, 2011
Two more starts and two more wins today against real good competition in Tennessee. Now she knows she belongs.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Congrats to your daughter. What a great start.

I understand what you mean about getting the acceptance from the seniors. Yesterday my DD, a freshman, got a walk-off single in the bottom of the 8th with 2 down. The first one to come running out and hug her was the starting Jr. pitcher who was all-conference last season. She felt pretty dang good about it.

Nov 14, 2011
But how soon they forget. We played a tournament in Tennessee and now in Pensacola Beach to play 4 High School scrimmage games on Monday and Wednesday. While my DD has been accepted by the seniors, the other Freshman who was brought on the trip as a sub hasn't been accepted and feels very isolated. She got injured right before we left on the trip and tried to play in a couple games while injured and her performance has been sub-par at best.

Nov 14, 2011
We just returned tonight from our trip. After the tournament in Columbia the team traveled to Pensacola to play a couple HS teams. My DD finished the trip with a 4-0 record as a starting pitcher and our team finished 9-2 on the trip. Obviously I am extremely proud of her and she doing great with the team. She has earned the respect of both the seniors on the team and the coaching staff. Next game is next Thursday but the high temp is only 47 degrees with a 75% chance of rain. Not looking good.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl