First Lesson Tonight...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
I agree. The reason for the group lesson is that I'm the head coach for DD's team. We're moving from machine pitch to kid pitch starting in spring, and have ZERO girls on the team that have pitched before. This was more of an "establish a base for the girls interested in pitching." Might do 1 or 2 more group sessions, and then everyone will be on their own. If I didn't get some of these girls in there this weekend, who knows what I'd have showing up and trying to pitch in the Spring!

We're in the same boat, and looking to do the same thing. We have a few core girls that we're going to try out at a few group pitching lessons to see if anyone decides to spend their parents' money in that particular direction.

Nov 2, 2015
We're in the same boat, and looking to do the same thing. We have a few core girls that we're going to try out at a few group pitching lessons to see if anyone decides to spend their parents' money in that particular direction.

Glad to see I'm not the only one! Was talking with the dad of one of my players (not a girl that wants to pitch) last night and he asked how the pitching lesson went.
I told him "It went...ok..."
He instantly started cracking up, and said "the look of horror on your face when you said "ok" was priceless!"

Nov 18, 2015
Mac & chardrok - are these for rec teams or travel? (And will add I’m nearly in the same boat - kid pitch starts 1/2 way through Spring for us).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 2, 2015
Mac & chardrok - are these for rec teams or travel? (And will add I’m nearly in the same boat - kid pitch starts 1/2 way through Spring for us).

Little League. I will say this however. I've had the same core of 6-7 great, athletic girls for 2 years now, and this will be our third (first year with kid pitch). After the spring season, and getting accustomed to actual pitching, we'll be taking this core and forming a club team. So, rec for now, but club in the near future!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD actually prefers group lessons, especially in the Winter. Lessons are close to what it would take to rent indoor space.

Instructor works with her 1 on 1 for a little bit then leaves her alone for a little while. She doesn't need the instructor staring at her all the time.

Plus she enjoys watching me try to dodge balls coming from 3 different ways when I am catching for her.

(If you are catching for her I have learned to try and get a spot at the end of the line then you only have to worry about balls coming 2 different ways.)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
DD actually prefers group lessons, especially in the Winter. Lessons are close to what it would take to rent indoor space.

Instructor works with her 1 on 1 for a little bit then leaves her alone for a little while. She doesn't need the instructor staring at her all the time.

Plus she enjoys watching me try to dodge balls coming from 3 different ways when I am catching for her.

(If you are catching for her I have learned to try and get a spot at the end of the line then you only have to worry about balls coming 2 different ways.)

Depending on how the instructor migrates from pitcher-to-pitcher, a spot in the middle may end up giving your kid more instruction time.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
We're coaching a rec team this spring. Most TB players in our town play rec as well. It's the first year for kid pitch coming up for our age group. Just hoping to get one or two of our core girls excited. Then the parents will buy in. And what I mean is buy into some coaching/lessons.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Wall drills do nothing to promote a loose arm circle or whip. Teach arm whip in sequence with the whole body--allow the body to contribute to the arm circle. Things like one knee drills, standing at 90 degrees with the feet planted and wall drills take the body out of the arm circle.

I wanted to revisit this topic a bit. Wall drills are not all bad. It depends on what you're doing with the wall. You can use the wall to make sure the ball is going over the shoulder, as Rick says, rather than getting out wide. You can use the wall to teach a loose motion with a bent elbow just as easily as you can use it to teach a long arm with a straight elbow. Wall drills, done properly, can be good for getting some practice time in on the arm circle when you can't get to a gym or field. You can do them anywhere. The key is to use them to practice the way you want to pitch.

Drills are just a means to an end. The key is what you're doing with them and how you're approaching them.

I do agree that isolation drills should be used sparingly. I much prefer having the pitcher use a full motion/full body because that's the way she's going to pitch. Sometimes, though, it helps to simplify things temporarily to work on a specific fix that can then be put back into the full chain.

Nov 18, 2015
Thanks Ken - your response is in line with what I was hoping of using it for.

I went back and watched most of the video. When she was demonstrating the wall drill, she mentioned another use was to use the wall to see if the ball could still get by b/w the hip and the wall. This is another habit I think I’m seeing in my daughter - she’ll swing/turn her hip as she throws, and I think it’s significant enough that if she tries it against a wall, she’ll quickly run out room.

I guess you never know what you’ll find in these videos - you just gotta keep digging / watching.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
A few thoughts as you start the process:

- pick and choose your battles. No one instructor (other than a few elite's like Java, Balswick, Hillhouse, BM, KenB) are students of the game and are going to teach 100% correct mechanics.
- as you are currently doing, educate yourself as you will likely be your DD's primary "pitching coach";
- I highly recommend you do one-on-one pitching instruction and stop the group lessons. You want the PC's undivided attention on your DD for 30 (or 60) minutes. You also want to be able to ask questions (and take notes) each and every practice. The best pitchers my DD grew up with in softball ALL had private, one-on-one instruction.
- Build a pitching area at your house so its easy to get the necessary practices in each week.

Good luck!
-

Great advice!! read it and apply it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802