First Lesson Tonight...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Can the wall drill be used to emphasize a correct arm circle? Trying to help my very-new-to-pitching daughter keep her hand/wrist below the elbow, and not “side-arm” the delivery.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
In short, cues to clear the hips usually will result in a butt-out posture and no brush. Cues to slam the hips result in over-rotation of the body and limit brush effectiveness.

Opening/Closing of the hips shouldn't be a taught or forced action and should be the result of natural biomechanics that happen, well, naturally, due to good pitching mechanics.

Gotcha.

One of the worst parts about HE is that it's so pervasive that I feel I need to learn all things HE (in addition to learning proper mechanics) so I can identify the BS quickly. Sure would be nice to only have to learn the good stuff.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
What is the issue with wall drills to fix the arm circle?

Wall drills do nothing to promote a loose arm circle or whip. Teach arm whip in sequence with the whole body--allow the body to contribute to the arm circle. Things like one knee drills, standing at 90 degrees with the feet planted and wall drills take the body out of the arm circle. (Waiting for [MENTION=8694]javasource[/MENTION] to come along and throw my Flamingo Drill under the bus...)

Can you explain clear the hips/slam the hips. I assume this refers to when a pitcher should open/close, and this is the one area I haven't read up on much yet, so what's the right/wrong way?

Adding to DNeeld's post--Extension opens the body and adduction/plant closes it. Normally, don't try to make either happen.

One of the worst parts about HE is that it's so pervasive that I feel I need to learn all things HE (in addition to learning proper mechanics) so I can identify the BS quickly. Sure would be nice to only have to learn the good stuff.

Coming soon! https://fastpitchfoundations.com/

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2015
First lesson went well. Mostly worked on set-up, release point, glove-hand action, etc.
At one point, DD told the instructor "my dad has been having me lead with the pinky..." Instructor had a slightly confused look, but didn't really say anything as she wasn't really going into that level of detail in this lesson.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
First lesson went well. Mostly worked on set-up, release point, glove-hand action, etc.
At one point, DD told the instructor "my dad has been having me lead with the pinky..." Instructor had a slightly confused look, but didn't really say anything as she wasn't really going into that level of detail in this lesson.

Your daughter opened up the door for you to follow-up and verify whether the instructor understood the merits of IR.

Feb 7, 2013

A few thoughts as you start the process:

- pick and choose your battles. No one instructor (other than a few elite's like Java, Balswick, Hillhouse, BM, KenB) are students of the game and are going to teach 100% correct mechanics.
- as you are currently doing, educate yourself as you will likely be your DD's primary "pitching coach";
- I highly recommend you do one-on-one pitching instruction and stop the group lessons. You want the PC's undivided attention on your DD for 30 (or 60) minutes. You also want to be able to ask questions (and take notes) each and every practice. The best pitchers my DD grew up with in softball ALL had private, one-on-one instruction.
- Build a pitching area at your house so its easy to get the necessary practices in each week.

Good luck!
-

Nov 2, 2015
- I highly recommend you do one-on-one pitching instruction and stop the group lessons. You want the PC's undivided attention on your DD for 30 (or 60) minutes. You also want to be able to ask questions (and take notes) each and every practice. The best pitchers my DD grew up with in softball ALL had private, one-on-one instruction.

-
I agree. The reason for the group lesson is that I'm the head coach for DD's team. We're moving from machine pitch to kid pitch starting in spring, and have ZERO girls on the team that have pitched before. This was more of an "establish a base for the girls interested in pitching." Might do 1 or 2 more group sessions, and then everyone will be on their own. If I didn't get some of these girls in there this weekend, who knows what I'd have showing up and trying to pitch in the Spring!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802