First-baseman or third-baseman stay back on bunt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
DD had a triple off a bunt this weekend. Third base didn't crash. Catcher missed throw at second and the lead runner went from 1st to home. DD went from 1st to third on the throw toward home. 10U isn't always pretty but it can be exciting.

Jul 4, 2014
So AGAIN today it happened.

My shortstop started cheating towards third on the steal from 2nd to third, and the ball was hit right to where the shortstop could have gotten it, had she not cheated.

I seem to give up this routine out more times than I ever would if I start having my 3rd get the steal.

This of course is all relative to your fielders range for sure, but I am seriously thinking of having 3rd handle the steal.

First crashing, I have no problem, 2nd has this handled well.

This is a dilemma, and always has been.

You said that she'd "started cheating" towards third...does that mean she actually had momentum going towards 3rd when the ball was hit? Or, do you mean that she was stationary a few steps closer to 3rd?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We have a 1B who has throwing issues, so we don't crash her. Great big bat, scoops balls like a vacuum cleaner off bad throws and catches everything headed her way - she just can't throw straight. She fields a bunt and that batter-runner is going to be on third and anyone else on base is going to score.

So we either crash 2B (when our less athletic P is pitching) or just let the 3B/P/C handle it (our other P is athletic and is capable of covering 95% of bunts on the 1st base side - we'll give up the other 5%). We also have a 3B who believes EVERY bunt is hers. Quick and aggressive, she gets to a LOT of bunts.

Last edited: