First base safety bag/obstruction/runners lane

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
Ground ball, pitcher toss to 1b, 1b juggles the ball as the runner is coming in and backs up awkwardly almosst falling, she has a foot on the far foul side of the runners first base, and is streached towards second base, completely blocking the base. The runner slowed and almost stopped and carefully stepped on the bag, was called out because the first basemans foot was on first before the runner.
What are the rules with the two first bases again? What are the rules with a first baseman that has a ball in the runners lane in front of the bag?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
USSSA Rule 8, Sec 19. Double First Base:

The Double First Base shall consist of a base in fair territory that is white in color and a base in foul territory that is colored.

A. A batted ball hitting or bounding over any part of the white portion is
declared fair. A batted ball hitting or bounding over only the colored
portion is declared foul.

B. Whenever a play is being made on the batter-runner, the defense must use
the white portion and the batter-runner the colored portion.

1. If the batter-runner touches only the white portion when there is a
play being made at first base, it is treated the same as missing the
base. The batter-runner is out providing the defense appeals prior to
the batter-runner returning to first base. Once the runner returns to the
white or colored portion, no appeal can be made.

2. If the defense touches only the colored portion, it is treated the same
as being off the base.

EXCEPTIONS
: The defense and batter runner can use either portion when:
1. The ball is thrown from the foul side of first base line.
2. On any force out attempt from the foul side of first base.
3. On any fair batted ball or errant throw that pulls the defense to foul
territory

If the fielder is blocking a bag with a ball in hand, that's legal. Blocking the bag without the ball is Obstruction if the runner's progress is affected. Standing ONLY on the foul portion of the double 1B while receiving a throw from fair territory would be the same as standing on dirt.

May 29, 2015
It depends on the code.

NFHS 8-10 says:

Art. 1 . . . The defense must use the white portion and the batter-runner the colored portion when a play is being made on the batter-runner.

Art. 2 . . .The offense or defense may use either the white or colored portion:
b. On an errant throw pulling the defense off the base into foul ground.

However, the way the OP presented it, I don't have an errant throw. I have a first baseman bobbling a ball. So, the penalties under Article 1 ...

PENALTIES (Art. 1):
1. The batter-runner is out when there is a play being made at first base and the batter-runner touches only the white portion provided the defense appeals prior to the batter-runner returning to touch the white or colored base.
2. The batter-runner is out for interference when there is a force play and the batter-runner touches only the white portion and collides with the fielder about to catch a thrown ball while on the white. (8-2-5 Penalty)
3. Obstruction is called on the defense when there is a force play on the batter-runner, who touches only the colored portion and collides with the fielder about to catch a thrown ball, while also on the colored portion. (8-4-3b Penalty)

I don't have a fielder "about to catch a thrown ball" ... I have a fielder bobbling a ball. A bobbled ball is not controlled and does not absolve the fielder of obstruction.

My call under NFHS: Obstruction on the first baseman.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
My call under NFHS: Obstruction on the first baseman.

This was my reading, too, but with a HTBT caveat. I think when she controls the ball is relevant here. If the batter-runner is still 10 feet away when she secures it, I maybe wouldn't call obstruction. If she's 3 feet away, that's different.

On a second reading, it sounds like maybe she secured the ball before falling backward (after all she did have it secured while stepping on the base). Definitely think it's a Had to Be There situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478