Finger pressure and seams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 19, 2014
This thread, the OP specifically with the Video explaining the Magnus effect it very interesting to me!!!
It reminds me of the Rachel Garcia thread... and what we're calling bullet spin on her rise may actually be this concept! The smooth patch is her bullseye causing a turbulent air stream...
I agree all of her pitches seem to be thrown this way. I particularly like the curveball that she throws because you can see the effect of it very clearly

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
This thread, the OP specifically with the Video explaining the Magnus effect it very interesting to me!!!
It reminds me of the Rachel Garcia thread... and what we're calling bullet spin on her rise may actually be this concept! The smooth patch is her bullseye causing a turbulent air stream...

you will find i posted this video in that rachel garcia thread but noone noticed it i guess... :cool:

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/34074-rachel-garcia-2.html

Nov 18, 2015
could the bullet spin be used to throw what would normally be called a cutter if thrown overhand? a straight fastball with late sideways movement?

Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
could the bullet spin be used to throw what would normally be called a cutter if thrown overhand? a straight fastball with late sideways movement?

i might have something to address that... 2 things... [keep in mind that in slow pitch, these things are magnified... i get about 18 inches of break on a 12 foot high pitch... and it only breaks on the way down if i orient the spin axis to align on the downward plane... ]

first ... if it's straight bullet spin then you should get a fastball... if the spin is yawed then the ball will break away from the spin axis and towards the seam... in this you can make a case that it's hidden much like a cutter compared to a fastball... they should not be able to tell from the delivery which way it will break... also if you use the same delivery without the smooth spot forward, you won't get movement either but the batter might be able to distinguish the spin better...

second... unlike a four seamer that has a consistent magnus force throughout... and breaks somewhat consistently... this pitch moves into the seams meaning you can start it in the optimal position in which case it will break past that and stop moving... or you can start it at a less optimal angle and allow it to break into the optimal angle... hence you get a later break... :cool:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
i was looking through some videos and came across this one... it seems to have a very high frame rate and zoomed in enough so you can stop and start it in mid pitch to see what's happening... i see a lot of smooth spots with this guy... and movement in both directions and some that look like they drop... but alwasys a smooth spot leading the way...

watch from 4:35 - 6:20 from the catchers view and stop and start it to see ... :cool:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
thank's doug... looking at this it seems i was wrong... this doesn't look like bullet spin after all... unfortunately i read the post about how you can slow u-tube videos down after i posted this and then i didn't think to go back and use it... plus the frame by frame using the period when it's paused is great for this kind of thing... thanks again for posting this... :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse