Fielding lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Does your kid take fielding (IF/OF) lessons and/or do extra work at home ?

• Yes

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 8, 2016
To me, one of the things that separates a lot of the teams around the country from the teams here in OK is fielding mechanics, in particular IF. Watching a top team from CA (for example) take IF vs a “top” team from OK is night and day for the most part. From what I see on the field (at all ages) Coaches don’t seem to teach it around here and it seems that hardly anybody is taking lessons or doing extra work (as they would post it on Social media if they did 😂)

Now with regards to the poll question, any extra work is good obviously but I am really talking about work that concentrates on mechanics vs just extra ground/fly balls.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
My daughter takes fielding lessons at the house of a well known coach in the area. He played professionally in the Astros organization. He has a ground ball lane and machine setup in his backyard - it’s pretty awesome. His son was an outstanding infielder who was drafted out of Baylor. Here he is taking grounders and their setup.

Jun 8, 2016
My daughter takes fielding lessons at the house of a well known coach in the area. He played professionally in the Astros organization. He has a ground ball lane and machine setup in his backyard - it’s pretty awesome. His son was an outstanding infielder who was drafted out of Baylor. Here he is taking grounders and their setup.

To me there is nothing more impressive than a smooth IF..I’d rather watch that then a good swing tbh.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Agree that most teams I've seen do a lot of reps with little coaching on technique.

It's been a while, but my DD used to take lessons from Taryn Atlee and some girl named Sis something or other.

You'd think she'd be a lot better than she is.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Not fielding lessons, but lots of extra work. No need for lessons there...DD's TB coach was obsessed with defensive technique, and I didn't see many infields that handled the ball better than her team. I learned some decent fielding technique as an adult from some very experienced ball players, and passed that along to the kid during our many extra sessions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802