Field conditions - is this normal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2018
My daughter's HS team has been complaining for 2 years about rocks on the field and the AD says it's normal and even if they picked up rocks everyday more would just show up. DD says other schools and travel fields don't have rocks - any idea why we do? Also the field is so dusty. The AD says the sprinkler works but on windy days we get this: Are these normal field conditions? I don't recall seeing this anywhere else she's played.

Jun 8, 2016
Field conditions below college are typically not very good from what I have seen, at least around here. If you go to an OU game they water down and drag the IF between most innings..for a reason.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We get that a lot in the early spring here on Long Island. Unless the field is watered regularly, the field becomes a dust bowl. I disagree on the rocks. Dragging the field correctly should get rid of 95% of the rocks.

I know some people don't like turf fields, but this is why many schools go that route in the northern parts of the country.

Jul 5, 2016
In cases like this, parents need to get involved. A couple of times, we mowed our high school field before a game - couple of push mowers and it actually doesn't take too long. If if the field is dry, get a hose an water it. Should it have to be that way - maybe not, but we just wanted the field to be okay for the kids.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
My daughter's HS team has been complaining for 2 years about rocks on the field and the AD says it's normal and even if they picked up rocks everyday more would just show up. DD says other schools and travel fields don't have rocks - any idea why we do? Also the field is so dusty. The AD says the sprinkler works but on windy days we get this: Are these normal field conditions? I don't recall seeing this anywhere else she's played.

I'm not saying it's great by any means but you are not alone (by a longshot) with the rocks or the wind and dust. Regarding the rocks - the Coach, the team and the school need to make it a priority and diligently get after it. Here in the Rockies it's our best crop.

Regarding the dust/wind there are many, many areas in the States that have to deal with it. Can be brutal but it is simply part of life on the diamond. One of the worst times I can recall was just about a month ago in Iowa, absolutely terrible, windy, cold, dusty...many called dust/wind delays. Watching the team try to to tarp the field was a hoot!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What I see is a field to play softball on.

Pick up Pebbles as you go.

Yep wind blows dirt.
Mostly in California the only time a field gets water is if it's an agricultural crop like grape vineyards or almond trees. 🤷‍♀️

Even pgf Nationals does not get water down Fields throughout the day and they do drag the field so it creates its own dust storm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802