Feedback on catchers gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2019
We are looking to buy a new set of catchers gear for our Jr high team. It will be wore by numerous players. Been looking at the Jen schro gear and also the samurai set. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like the current Easton helmets (Jen Scho / Pro-X). I haven't seen enough of the JS chest and legs to have an opinion, but Easton has a reputation for mediocre durability.

I don't care for the Miz Samurai set at all. The chest protector is stiff and uncomfortable for a lot of players, and doesn't absorb impact as well as most others. The helmet design has not evolved in many years, and is behind many others on some design aspects related to safety.

My suggestion would be to look strongly at All-Star.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I like the current Easton helmets (Jen Scho / Pro-X). I haven't seen enough of the JS chest and legs to have an opinion, but Easton has a reputation for mediocre durability.

I don't care for the Miz Samurai set at all. The chest protector is stiff and uncomfortable for a lot of players, and doesn't absorb impact as well as most others. The helmet design has not evolved in many years, and is behind many others on some design aspects related to safety.

Bean13, my suggestion would be to strongly listen to Eric F!!

Apr 25, 2019
My DD is currently wearing the Jen Schro Fundamentals set. It's good so far. There was one issue where the ear foam was rubbing her the wrong way so I had to cut it. However, as good as this set is, I wish I would have splurged for the "Very Best" set. It's got a lot of the small features that my DD enjoyed in other gear. We don't have any complaints against any of Easton's stuff. My DD has used the M5 and the Prowess sets and has liked them both. However, they don't last her more than a year. Either she busts some of the straps on her knee pads or wears holes in them from blocking and sliding. I can't speak for the Samurai but we have nothing but good things to say about Easton.

Apr 28, 2019
We are looking to buy a new set of catchers gear for our Jr high team. It will be wore by numerous players. Been looking at the Jen schro gear and also the samurai set. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

If I was

If I was in the market I would look at JS Easton Very Best set, Diamond IX5, Rawlings Velo, All Star System 7, and the new Evoshield gear. If you like the All Star gear you can get cheaper version in UA sets for around $200.

Like Eric I would suggest All Star. My daughter uses the Easton Jen Shro mask (very best) but honestly I have to say I like the Pro-X Mask by them slightly better. It just seemed to fit her better. With that said the Jen Shro mask does fit her better than the All Star masks. She uses the All Star Series 7 Axis chest protector and shins. She finds both very comfortable.

Apr 28, 2019
If I was

If I was in the market I would look at JS Easton Very Best set, Diamond IX5, Rawlings Velo, All Star System 7, and the new Evoshield gear. If you like the All Star gear you can get cheaper version in UA sets for around $200.
I would also look at Schutt Scorpion gear. Not a fan of Mizuno gear.

May 21, 2014

Have you tried this years stuff? I agree the helmet is blah, but the chest and shins are awesome. We had tried the previous stuff and didn't care for it but this years redesign is excellent. Padding down the center of the chest has a rubbery feel to it that will keep the ball from bouncing. The underfoot toe guard strap is actually practical and the toe protection stays centered. Also, it was the lightest weight gear I've ever held. There are actually holes in the padding of the sides of the chest for weight reduction and breathability.

On a side note my player is super skinny, and this was one of the only sets where the plastic on the front of the legs didn't wrap around so far that it hit the back of her thighs when she squatted (wanted to love the all-star but the plastic was way too large). The soft padding wraps around the leg quite nicely.

On a side note, I wanted to try the schutt shins but she didn't care for the look of them. They were going to be my next/last resort because of how they do the plastic on the front (more similar to the old promotion stuff we were coming from).

Jun 24, 2016
The Schutt gear is nice. We are pretty happy with it. The titanium face mask makes the helmet a bit lighter too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802