Favorite Games at Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
A fun hitting game my team liked last summer was line drive or out.

Line the team up along the fence with helmets and bats.

1 hitter is up, she stays as long as she hits fair ball line drives, everything else is a out and you move to the back of the line. (you can adjust the "safe/out" for whatever level your team is)

Moves pretty quick and you need at least 2 full buckets of balls, 3 or 4 is better.

When you run out of balls it's time to pick them up. Found it a good way to end pratcie.

Yep, I do something similar I simply call Hit Round. I throw front toss, hitters get 1 swing. Rules are it has to reach the grass in the air and an assistant makes the call if it is a hit or not. No ground balls, no lazy pop flies. If they get out, they grab a glove and go shag until we're finished. Winner is rewarded with extra swings. Teach the girls how to compete and take meaningful swings. We'll either do it before we transition from hitting to team defense or at the end of practice.

We also have another in groups of 3. One group at HP (A) with a tee, one touching 1B dugout (B) and the other at 3B dugout (C), and one coach. A hits off the tee, B/C must communicate as to who is sprinting to field the ball and who is the cut. The coach runs to the circle after the ball is hit. Fielder runs the ball down, throws to the cut, who throws to coach in the circle. If there are any overthrow/bad throws, the person who threw the ball must retrieve it and still make the appropriate throw (B ->C ->Coach). A sprints the bases, each base worth one point, until the ball is in the glove of the coach in the circle. Team with the most points at the end of everyone hitting wins. Rotate in complete groups.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
Split the team into two teams line up one team at short the other at second. Take a ball bucket with a lid set it on home plate, then take another bucket and set it on top of the first. coach stands off to the side of home plate with buckets of balls and hits hard grounders to short then 2nd in rapid fire succession and the object is for the player to field the ball clean and make a throw accurate enough to knock the top bucket off the bottom one. when they do its a point. first team to ten wins. usually they are close to tied at the end and it really gives them practice in throwing well under pressure. If its more a beginner team only go to 5 and you can set them up a little closer. side note hitting the bottom bucket knocking the top one off does not count. Kids from 10u to high school love it

Feb 26, 2018
Split the team into two teams line up one team at short the other at second. Take a ball bucket with a lid set it on home plate, then take another bucket and set it on top of the first. coach stands off to the side of home plate with buckets of balls and hits hard grounders to short then 2nd in rapid fire succession and the object is for the player to field the ball clean and make a throw accurate enough to knock the top bucket off the bottom one. when they do its a point. first team to ten wins. usually they are close to tied at the end and it really gives them practice in throwing well under pressure. If its more a beginner team only go to 5 and you can set them up a little closer. side note hitting the bottom bucket knocking the top one off does not count. Kids from 10u to high school love it

X2 on this one. My DD's 12U team loves playing this game and begs the HC to do this at the end of every practice.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

I like this one too, especially when they figure out that if the charge the ball, they can get closer for a better chance at knocking off the bucket (stuffed animal, basketball, etc...)

Mar 28, 2013
I like this one too, especially when they figure out that if the charge the ball, they can get closer for a better chance at knocking off the bucket (stuffed animal, basketball, etc...)

I really like the idea of the stuffed animal.LOL

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I really like the idea of the stuffed animal.LOL

Me too!

Our school is too new to have a rival yet, but I love the idea of getting a stuffed animal of whatever the rival school's mascot it (even better if you can get a plush of the actual mascot from the school) and using that. :)

Jun 9, 2009
Me too!

Our school is too new to have a rival yet, but I love the idea of getting a stuffed animal of whatever the rival school's mascot it (even better if you can get a plush of the actual mascot from the school) and using that. :)

I have an old basketball with a picture of my face taped to it. The girls might actually enjoy this a little TOO much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802