Fake softball energy trend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I think that TMIB is saying that women athletes aren't as quick to lose their minds over a perceived taunt as are men. And that is to the credit of women's sports. The only time I thought there might be bench-clearing brawls is when Haley Fagan was at Auburn and Auburn was playing Florida.

That. Women haven't shown the history of throwing at the next batter, batters walking out jawing at the pitcher, benches yelling at each other, etc. NCAA Baseball made a pre-emptive (and overreaching, IMO) move to eliminate the macho flexing.

Baseball has made batflips an automatic ejection (which I disagree with) and outlawed ANY "props" outside the dugout. A pitcher got ejected because he was eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when he came out to congratulate a teammate who hit a home run; he handed the sandwich to the teammate who took a bite, thus making it a prop. He was slated to start the next day, but the ejection meant he couldn't pitch the next day in their post-season conference tournament.

I'm surprised they haven't outlawed the coordinated team celebrations (which Southern Miss was excellent at a few years ago in the Regional at Ole Miss).

May 13, 2023
That. Women haven't shown the history of throwing at the next batter, batters walking out jawing at the pitcher, benches yelling at each other, etc.
They used to before rules changed.
Sliding to take out defensive players.
Pitches that were thrown in the river and very close to hitting batters....and hitting batters.
Now when batters get hit by a pitch they get a free base.
Just saying took away the push back.

NCAA Baseball made a pre-emptive (and overreaching, IMO) move to eliminate the macho flexing.
Needs to be a word for the female version so 'femaflex'.... 'estrogen flexing'.

Baseball has made batflips an automatic ejection (which I disagree with) and outlawed ANY "props" outside the dugout. A pitcher got ejected because he was eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when he came out to congratulate a teammate who hit a home run; he handed the sandwich to the teammate who took a bite, thus making it a prop. He was slated to start the next day, but the ejection meant he couldn't pitch the next day in their post-season conference tournament.
Haaa 😄 yes definitely taunting with the sandwich.

I'm surprised they haven't outlawed the coordinated team celebrations (which Southern Miss was excellent at a few years ago in the Regional at Ole Miss).
Time will tell, difficult to imagine how much more it could grow. But I think it still could 🙄

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Throwing at batters now doesn't have the same impact as it did before they all donned football protective gear at the plate. The obstruction rule has taken away any hard slides, and you rarely see double plays in which the SS throws at the runner to force her to slide. It's not baseball...

As for the stadium, TMIB brought up the Olympics, which is a great analogy. While the line might have worked for Ray Kinsella, I'm not sure "If you build it, they will come." will work for softball. Any city that hosts the Olympics loses millions, if not billions, of dollars on the endeavor. A 14,000 stadium requires a lot of money to maintain, so they have to be in use a lot to generate the revenue. Look at any single use basketball or hockey arena. They have to fill the other dates up with concerts, truck shows, the circus, and conventions to make ends meet. I don't know if a stadium could have enough events to justify the cost.

May 13, 2023
Throwing at batters now doesn't have the same impact as it did before they all donned football protective gear at the plate.
There is no where near the type of throwing at batters like there used to be. Leftie slappers would be plucked one by one for running at the pitcher out of the box the way they do now.

The obstruction rule has taken away any hard slides, and you rarely see double plays in which the SS throws at the runner to force her to slide. It's not baseball...

As for the stadium, TMIB brought up the Olympics, which is a great analogy. While the line might have worked for Ray Kinsella, I'm not sure "If you build it, they will come." will work for softball. Any city that hosts the Olympics loses millions, if not billions, of dollars on the endeavor. A 14,000 stadium requires a lot of money to maintain, so they have to be in use a lot to generate the revenue. Look at any single use basketball or hockey arena. They have to fill the other dates up with concerts, truck shows, the circus, and conventions to make ends meet. I don't know if a stadium could have enough events to justify the cost.
@Rolling Hard brought up a good point about converting stadiums for the use of College World Series. It can be done! The Coliseum has been used for so many different things amazing how they can re-configure that space.

Jun 8, 2016
The WCWS deserves a dedicated stadium. You guys are willing to go backwards just because you are sick of OU winning? If OK can afford to build/renovate a stadium for softball only other states can as well..HOF stadium hosts all kinds of other softball (fastpitch and slowpitch) events. No reason why other venues couldn’t as well..

May 29, 2015
Went to the St. Louis Cardinals game for Pride Night tonight … Contreras threw out a runner stealing second (3rd out) and then starting thumping his chest and stomping his way back to the dugout yelling. Dude, you threw a runner out.

His next at bat … he got thumped hard.

It still happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802